Thursday, August 27, 2009

Thursday

The monsoons have returned to the Quackers...

1 and 1.1 announced a positive doctor's appointment with an audio text message of the sonogram. Cool.

2 has had a big to-do at her house. Not good. She can provide details.

I've been thinking that the blog's topics have been somewhat limited when I eliminate NASCAR, politics, and my sex life (just checking whether anyone is reading!) Actually, it's a little like those AP English courses where the girls couldn't use variants of "to be" (is, are, was, were, etc.). So if you are going to put in an entry about something other than your daily grind, or personal interests that are truly personal, you have to be creative. Bring on writer's block!
.
It's no wonder that newspaper, magazine, and electronic columnists who have 2-3 weekly deadlines often fall into predictable, and often repetitive, narratives. Political writers are the worst because they just take the topic de jour and spin it according to their particular bias. Entertainment reporters just look for dirt, drugs and divorce. They all probably just have pre-defined formats and just drop in the issue, the names, dates and end-of-column snarl.

All but Craig Wilson who simply picks the most boring thing that happened to him or his boy-toy that week and fills in his own blanks.

Then you have the absolutely inept (usually sports writers) who write numbered lists of their thoughts on the most popular issues of the week. No creativity required.

Looking forward to the weekend. Local football starts. What happened to Summer?

BCOT

2 comments:

camperkev said...

let's hear it 2....

2 said...

Dagh. My house was broken into Wednesday. They tried to get in through both my bedroom windows (unsuccessfully) and ended up breaking a window in my back door and opening the lock. They tore up the place looking for stuff. Ended up taking a computer, old ipod (luckily I had mine and Mary's ipods in my purse that day), camera and diamond ring I got for graduation. Police came and finger printed the place (which made more of a mess than the theives) and made a report of the incident. Luckily I have the receipt for the computer and ring. I had the serial number for the ipod. Fingers crossed they try and pawn it and the cops find it.

Yesterday I had a new no-window door and a nicer, more energy efficent storm door installed in the back. A nicer storm door for the front coming once we special order it (old house, odd size front door). Curtains going up in all the windows. Someone (I can't name who) gave me some stickers that say my house is security protected, so those go up tonight. New computer needs to be purchased before class starts Thursday. Insurance man coming Monday or Tuesday to file the claim...

I'm a big girl. Stayed at mom's one night (door was still broken), but am back in my own bed. I refuse to let them scare me out of my house. Thinking about getting a dog. Went the Humane Society yesterday, but didn't see any dog there I wanted. I'm not a dog person, so I'm going to take my time deciding on that issue...