Sunday, August 02, 2009

Sunday

I'm not sure if my life is back to normal, but at least I'm not headed out of town tomorrow. August is going to be a "stay at home" month.

The trip back from KC on Friday was uneventful. I-80 continues to amaze with the truck traffic. The rednecks had already set up camp at the track outside Newton for the NASCAR race (held on Saturday). They had 55K+ in attendance Saturday, which is a strong showing for the first big league (AAA variety) race at that track. They'll be back next year. Sponsors like those numbers.

Aunt Rosie deserves a little recognition here as I totally whiffed on wishing her "happy birthday" while staying there. Thursday was the day, and we shared late drinks on the deck for a couple of hours and neither she nor Uncle Tom offered any clue. It wasn't until on my way home Friday that I put the days and the calendar date together. Remembering birthdays, anniversaries, and other dates of importance is not one of my strong suits. Remember that, ladies.

This is the calendar week that we most often scheduled for vacations when the girls were all fairly young. Business was always a bit slow in early August, the girls' Summer programs were done, and school didn't start for another couple of weeks. Good times.

And we always saw a lot of motorcycles headed West for the Sturgis rally. And the procession was in full swing on my way back Friday. I wonder what the fatality count will be this year? Is Vegas carrying an over/under line?

Back on the bike today, which again reminded me of how quickly my conditioning goes away when I'm off for several days in a row. This week will be used to rebuild my base so that I can have a full 30 days to hit it hard before the Italy trip. I may even do some spin classes at Gold's to fill in weekdays when the road workout is inconvenient. Time is short.

The one brain flash that I had on the bike today was the possible purchase of a vanity license plate for the Buick: 4KDAYS. A thought only at this point. I used to think that a vanity plate just gave somebody the chance to remember your location when you really didn't need or want anyone knowing where you were. Since I take Margret quite a few places, and get noticed all the time, it's not like the vanity plate is all that meaningful. Plus, there's all those cameras...

All for tonight. Have a great week.

BCOT

No comments: