Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday

TOMRV was a success, although it was a long, long day.

I got up early enough to take off around 0630, but a light rain was falling and the Northern horizon looked pretty ominous, so I did what any cautious fair-weather-rider would do, I went to SB's to consider the possibilities. After an hour or so, the rain had abated, and I elected to head for the hills.

Most riders must have gone ahead and started at their normal times, because I never really saw the "crowd". My breakfast stop at mile 15 around 0915 had a good number, but not the size I usually see there. The first real "sag" stop was at mile 28 and there were hardly any riders there taking a break. By the time I hit the second sag near my halfway point around noon, the volunteers were closing up shop.

In addition to my late start, there was also a bit of a head-wind coming out of the Northeast. This kept my flat-surface average speed under 15 MPH, which is really too slow for the distance needed to be covered. The only people I passed all day was a dad and his grade-school-aged daughter (who was only doing a few miles) with mom following in the van with lights flashing. If it was NASCAR, they would have "black-flagged" me (too slow on the track).

By the last third of the ride, I had settled in to a bit of a rhythm and maintained contact with a few riders who seemed to fit my profile (read: old and philosophical). The last 20 into Galena are the hardest due to Tahoe-like grades on several of the climbs. The butt was definitely feeling it. And the left hammy. Finally rolled in around 1615. Can't say that any part of the actual ride was fun. 2 was waiting for me at the appointed bar.

We went inside to have a cold one before heading home, and proceeded to party for over two hours with a small group of riders from the Illinois side who were in that cadre (mentioned right above) that I loosely connected with those last several miles into town. The spouses had driven to Galena and they were all ready to party. Turns out that I actually knew a couple of the guys from business things, and there were social connections as well. It's a small world.

2 was a loyal DD and politely declined each of the several rounds (including Jagermeister shots!) that found their way to our table. Really made the day a great day, and the seat-time worth it. I'm sure that I'll see this group again.

I've always said that TOMRV wasn't the RAGBRAI, party-kind of ride, as it's just too hard for the casual rider, and even the more serious rider can't afford to start pounding brewskies at 10AM. But the party in Galena may be testimony to the contrary. If you have a group like that, a party can break out anyplace.

Lots of yard work today.

Sounds like 4 got the first stage of moving-in in Lincoln handled. We'll be anxious to hear details.

And 3 was partying hardy in NYC last night. We are a very cosmopolitan group!

More later.

BCOT

No comments: