Sunday, June 07, 2009

Sunday

I'm almost looking forward to going back to work tomorrow. Golfing three straight days was just a little too much for me. Today was a day of rest.

4 and Mom have spent the weekend apartment-hunting in Lincoln. What they hoped to get done by Saturday afternoon took an extra day. 4 will now have a busy week getting ready for starting her job a week from Monday. Hello, Life 101!!

The GM bankruptcy event has come into play with one of my clients who was in the process of buying a GM dealership that was under some stress. Before the execution of a Letter of Intent, the dealer received one of the "Notice " letters, so the price of the proposed acquisition was discounted further. Subsequently, the dealer also got a Directive Letter from the "New GM" that further twisted the screws. I'm hoping that my client will just walk away from the deal, but my instincts tell me that my guy now thinks that he really has a good deal.

Tiger made a statement today with his come-from-behind victory on the golf tour. I'm guessing that the rest of the field now expects that they'll need more than a little luck to beat him at the next "Major" in New York in a couple of weeks. He birdied the last two holes (which were the hardest on the course) to win by two after starting the day down by 4. Impressive.

There was an article in the local paper today promoting fist-bumping as a preferred alternative to hand-shakes in business and casual greetings. I've been a fist-bumper, elbow-nudger for over two years, ever since I got the plague from 2 during the 2006 Christmas season. I've found the exercise to-shake-or-not-to-shake a bit uneven. There are times where it just is easier to conform and shake.

In the Winter, I used the old, "I've just had the flu", excuse to deflect an extended hand. Most of my friends know that I don't like to shake and they'll do the bump. It's that first encounter with a new acquaintance (or competitor on the golf course) where you have to make that decision whether to make a stand. Or not.

The Catholics at Mass are the worst. Not only do you have the "Kiss of Peace" hand shake with all contiguous seatees (pewees?), but they share wine from the same chalice. Ugh. And yuck. (I'm pretty sure that I have mentioned this phobia before in this tome.)

My pal Pete's son is completing his coast-to-coast biking trip this week in Charleston, South Carolina. Pete's scheduled to get down there to ride with them on the last couple of days. The ride was a cancer fund-raiser, and I applaud them for the effort. But that's way too much seat time for me. I get bored after three days on RAGBRAI. See www.blog.dannysride.org.

No major plans for the week. TOMRV Saturday.

BCOT

No comments: