Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thursday

Fat Tuesday and Ash Wednesday failed to receive notice here earlier this week. So we're into full Lenten mode. Mardi Gras. Anybody giving anything up for these next six weeks?

And Spring Training games began this week. Does that mean that baseball season has started?

BTW, ...what is the World Baseball Classic?

I drove myself to work today for the first time since my accident. A little apprehension. No problems, but I see a lot of me riding while others are doing the driving in my future.

Another well-known newspaper is shutting down; The Rocky Mountain News. The Gray Lady is on a similar path. The traditional model is broken. I'm not sure what it will take to save the papers.

I plan to go into C-town tomorrow afternoon for Augie's 6PM game with Elmhurst College at the Wheaton College gym. Wheaton plays North Central College (from Naperville) in the second game. The winners play on Saturday night for the conference title, and the automatic berth in the NCAA D-III tournament. My pal Pete and I figure that tomorrow night's winners will both get in. The losers will likely be done for the year. (There's no NIT in D-III!)

We're coming home after the game, regardless of the outcome. If we win, there's a return trip for the championship game on Saturday.

Look for entries here and on Twitter from the road tomorrow (and maybe Saturday).

I'm not going to be able to receive my 3rd place award at the gathering of the writing contest participants tomorrow night. I want 2 to go in my stead. We'll see.

Postage rates go up as of May 11th. The letter rate goes to 44 cents. Why not 50?

That's all for now.

BCOT

5 comments:

Kristen Charles said...

I am NOT giving anything up for Lent. This is primarily because I couldn't think of anything really challenging. And if I choose something that's not challenging, I'll forget about it.

For example, one of my high school friends remembered that no sooner had I decided to give up bread our junior year, I ordered (and ate) a sandwich without a second thought at Subway later that Ash Wednesday.

Why give anything up anyway? Jesus isn't important enough to hit up Christmas Mass, but you'll make the 40 day sacrifice? There's no consistency. These days we pick and choose to be actively religious when it's convenient. Grandma and Grandpa are probably begging JC to let us through the Pearly Gates.

I'm not a particularly good Catholic girl (in fact I hope very much Gma and Gpa H are praying for me from up above) and am not giving anything up. But I get why people do it - it feels good to push yourself and meet your goals. So I AM committing to keeping a diet and exercise diary for Lent. It's something I always say I want to do, but always stop after I've missed a workout or binged on Ben and Jerry's.

(FYI - I gave up unhealthy fast food ...burgers, nuggets, fries...for my New Year's Resolution and am still going strong. Subs and salads still allowed.)

Anyone giving up SBucks????

camperkev said...

nice...calling the SB addition out!

camperkev said...

that would be addiction, not addition....

Anonymous said...

notice how none of our audience took her up on the challenge?

camperkev said...

there's challenge and then there's just plain crazy. How do you think I get through the day after getting up at 4am? Myself, I prefer peet's coffee, but I never turn down a cup of SBs if a Peet's is not in sight. I think the SB crowd should join me in my 2nd year of eliminating the paper cup out of these necessary stops for the nectar of the gods. A couple of travel mugs (one always in the car and one in the office) will make a huge dent in the paper consumption....and you save 10cents a cup.