Friday, February 20, 2009

Friday

The day started out great. No AM spin since I had planned to go to a class after work. I knew that I had a Planned Giving Council meeting over at Augie at 0730, so I had set the phone alarm for 0530 so that I would have extra time to get to SB's early for some Roy time. He has been out all week and he's headed back to Florida for a week of golf tomorrow. I woke before the alarm, did my full morning routine, and then put on the suit for the first time in months.

Since I so rarely wear a suit, I took the camera to the Augie breakfast and had another attendee snap this one of my pal Pete and myself for proof to disbelievers. Even the baristas were impressed with the look.

The Augie meeting get over around 0900. So I check in with Smith from the car as I'm headed out, knowing that I probably needed to go directly to a client meeting in a small Illinois town about 40 minutes away. Turns out that the client had called in and wanted me to phone them before leaving for the meeting. Which I did and determined that it worked better for all parties that we meet a town midway for lunch. Perfect for me since that gave me the chance to run home and change to jeans and a sweater. (This particular client may have choked if I shown up in a suit anyway!)

I come across the bridge and take Middle Road toward my house. Doing the speed limit or less. Seat belt on. Not talking on the phone or anything like that. Not a lot of traffic. I ease over to the left lane as I approach the final lighted intersection, with my signal very "green",less than 1/2 mile before the entry into my neighborhood. As I enter the intersection, I can see an older, tan-ish passenger van approaching the intersection from the other direction, in the left-turn lane, which was OK. Until he turns right in front of me!!!!!!

I am dead-ed meat. I slam on the brakes, and do a hard right turn to try to avoid a direct hit, but it doesn't help much. Boom!!! I hit hard and am juggled about in my seat. No bag deployment. I'm dazed, but never lose consciousness. It creates a big hubbub in the street. Several citizens stop, and at least a couple come over to me. And I recall one guy who is on his walkie-talkie radio calling the cops/medics. Within minutes, there are cops and firemen and Emergency workers all over the place.

Like I said, I was stunned, but I didn't think anything was broken. Eventually an EMT took charge and they put a neck brace on me and pulled me from the car and placed me on a board from transport to the ambulance. I was taken to Genesis East (no sirens or flashing lights), x-rayed, examined and otherwise observed for about three hours. No fractures, and no other discernible ill-effects. But very sore in the chest, lower back, and right wrist. Once they could determine that there were no serious injuries, they brought in the Vicodin, and that has helped a lot with my comfort level.

My pal Bill came to the hospital to babysit me while the process unfolded. Upon discharge, we were able to go to the towing company down by the Bettendorf police station and retrieve my personal effects. I was most concerned about my glasses, the camera, and one of my Nike running gloves, all of which the EMT's told me to worry about later. All were there and Bill cleaned out most of the other stuff in the car. And we then stopped by Walgreens for the Vicodin prescription.

So I'm now on my couch in recovery mode. Still very sore. No spin class tonight. It might be a very low-key weekend.

The Buick looks like toast. But whether they "total" it or not remains to be seen. I seriously doubt if PC will want it fixed. Aren't they trying to dump a bunch of over-supplied new cars at GM?

I will probably get back on here later this evening.

Thanks for the concern.

BCOT

3 comments:

Kristen Charles said...

If you're looking to make some cash on the side of this whole incident, I can probably find someone who'll cough up some dough for the Vicodin.

Actually, 1 probably has better connections at her school than I do.

Just sayin'

camperkev said...

wow...glad you are ok. What was the plight of the guy that hit you?

camperkev said...

btw, nice new template on the blog...looks familiar......