Thursday, February 05, 2009

Thursday

This is "Bossy".

Actually, we named all the cows. I remember Queeny. Beyond her, I'm at a loss. But they all had names.

My latest interesting exercise was the VRS (voice recognition software) on the United Airlines reservations systems. Mostly, I tried to jump the program, but it wasn't easy.

The deal was driven by my unexpected rescheduling of the Phoenix trip in October and the related no-cancellation airfare. I had to rebook by March to limit my loss to a $100 re-ticketing fee. So I found a relevant conference in early May and decided to take the leap. In the end, I was successful, but the agent in the Philippines was borderline.

Getting to the agent reminded me of the firewall in the automated response system at the Colorado Department of Revenue. Colorado actually didn't want to have taxpayers talk to anyone, so they created loops that would take you from A to B, and then to C and D, but ultimately, back to A. In the end, I grew to be highly impressed with their ATV (ability to avoid).

The Taurus has become the ultimate pit. I actually put some stuff in there Tuesday when I was trying to de-clutter my kitchen in anticipation of my RCL (Russian Cleaning Lady). My pal Bill needed a ride yesterday at lunch, so I had to pitch stuff from the front seat to the back seat. I suppose that the next progression is for the back seat stuff to go to the trunk. Where does it go from the trunk?

The movement of that stuff in the car could be a microcosm of the veritable Everyman's backpack in life. We're always moving stuff. Up through our twenties, we usually don't have much stuff. (Most of it will fit in a car!) In our thirties and forties (and maybe some in their fifties), we gather stuff. And move it in trucks from town to town and house to house. Different people need different sizes of trucks.

At some point, we stop gathering stuff, and begin to consider getting rid of the stuff that we own. ( Obviously, we all know some people who can't seem to throw anything away. These people need help.) Goodwill. Salvation Army. VFW. Garage sales. The estate auction. In Bettendorf, they have large item pick-up a couple times a year. You can get rid of a lot of stuff by setting it out at the curb. If the scavengers don't take it first, the city takes it to the dump.

Well, I could go on here, but I might lose the audience. So maybe another time.

Maybe 50 here tomorrow. Suite.

BCOT

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Queeny was a horse

PJH

Anonymous said...

along the topic of clutter....i teach off of a cart. now, everyone just stop for a second and imagine putting everything you have in your office on a cart. do you think it would be slightly full and perhaps messy? maybe you'd have a hard time fitting everything. perhaps you'd lose something occasionally. back to senario...i push my cart from room to room (i teach five classes in five different classrooms). i have what may appear to others as a lot of "stuff" on my cart. i know exactly where everything is. i'm one of those disorganized organized people. however, as i push my cart, i have to hang on to papers on the the top so they don't blow away as i navigate the hallway. i also have to hang on to my laptop-not only so it doesn't go crashing to the floor, but so it doesn't get swiped by a passerby. ANYWAY...i had an off-site meeting yesterday (another topic i can address at a later dated...who in their right mind would think that 16 people could get together and agree on a new curriculum in five hours?!!) and i had a substitute. she was supposed to collect some student writing at the end of three of my classes. she told them to keep their writing because my cart was too messy and she didn't want their work to get lost!!! OMG!!!

Anonymous said...

Martha said:

Katie, please send me your email address