Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sunday

Well, for the first time in a few weeks, SB's on Sunday AM didn't happen. I got started a little late, then read the paper, and by the time I fired up the computer, 3 called to advise that they were trying to get out of town. So my post is a little late hitting cyberspace.

Cold. Cold. Cold. It was still below zero when I returned from saying good-bye to 3. I am getting tired of Winter. And to think that I was actually thinking of taking the bike outside yesterday morning!

Augie came away a winner last night after a Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde performance. They looked so good in the first half, and then looked equally bad in the second. Luckily, they hit their free throws down the stretch, or they would have seen a 20+ point lead go for naught. 2 and I thought we would get home early, only to have to stay until the last few seconds to confirm our win. The hot dogs were cold. The popcorn needed salt. And our seating was not our usual place, which irritated both of us. At least they won.

I know that there are not many NASCAR fans out there, but the story of last night's first race of the year has meaning beyond the track. Junior took the checkers in his first race with the Hendrick team, with a little help from his new teammates. Almost all the mainline media outlets who report sports have had stories in recent weeks about Junior moving to the new team, his popularity in racing, and everyone's interest in him succeeding, even his competitors. I don't think that anyone could have hoped for a better result than what they got last night.

My prediction on the local sportswriter getting his digs in on Bobby Knight in his Sunday column was right on target. He even cited the incident that gave rise to his problems with Knight. Some press conference from the '80's. Funny how people, men in particular, can't remember where they parked their car, but then they can't forget being dissed 20 years ago.

Phil Mickelsen, the Number Two player in the world, took an 11 on one hole yesterday at Pebble Beach. It's been a while since I took an 11 on a single hole. This is yet another example of the danger of ever saying, "That's the worst shot of my life." There is a high probability that, however bad a shot might be, you will likely make a worse one in your lifetime.

The Tahoe trip is moving to early August. 4 suggested that we might as well make it then so that I could see some of those classic cars at Hot August Nights in Reno. I'll work with Uncle Phil to nail down the exact dates. If you are gainfully employed, you are responsible for your own plane ticket. I have the condo, the car and the other overhead (read, wine) handled. 3 indicates that she's planning on springing for a jet-ski.

Here are some Sunday thoughts to ponder:

1. Who came up with the fold-able containers for Chinese take-out?
2. What do they do with those 2008 Super Bowl Champion Patriots shirts and caps?
3. How old is Clint Eastwood? Really.
4. Where did they "film" the moon sequences for Niel Armstrong?
5. When they say it's free, is it? Really.

I can't believe that it is the middle of February. I should be 3/24th's of the way toward my 2008 goals. That's 1/8th. And I have a bunch of work to do to be there. Translated: I need to have a productive week.

Thanks for reading.

BCOT

No comments: