Sunday, February 03, 2008

Sunday

This is getting to be a bit of a habit. Sunday morning. SB's. NYT Sunday edition. Blog. Is it a semi-religious experience?

My workout yesterday was not all that successful. Lunch at the Pebble Creek clubhouse turned into a Bloody Mary exercise, and, after the Tuscan red from Friday night, I ended up spending most of my afternoon on the couch. Who was it that said, "The road to ruin is paved with good intentions?"

The local fishwrap profiled a book today written by an 85 year old lady who grew up during the Depression in small-town Iowa. Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression. Mildred Armstrong Kalish. The article says that she visited Prairie Lights in IC in September. I wonder if 4 was there.

The latest example of poor planning on this SB's location is the supplies truck that services the store a couple of days each week. The truck is a full-sized semi that can't get into the complex without backing in from across Elmore, and then angling in and stopping traffic in all directions. I'm wondering if the planners of the development even considered the concept that service vehicles would have to enter the area.

I'm also wondering where Super Bowl Sunday falls on the list of busiest grocery store shopping days. I had stopped at Hy Vee to pick up some chips and the parking lot was packed. My guess is that it is a top ten day. Here's my list:

1. Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
2. July 3rd.
3. Saturday before Easter.
4. Super Bowl Sunday.
5. Sunday before Memorial Day.
6. December 23rd or AM of December 24th.
7. The day before a forecasted blizzard.
8. Locally at least, the Friday before Bix, or Bix Saturday.
9. December 31st.
10. The Saturday of Father's Day weekend.

I'm going to come back to this later today. For sure.

BCOT

No comments: