Sunday, February 17, 2008

Daytona In-Race Report


They're turning left!

Actually, Daytona is not all that exciting for most of the race because it's a race where the track is so big and the cars just barrel along in a pack with the throttle wide open. No brakes. It's not until the last 20 or 30 laps that the drivers get a little sporty. Then they usually have a big accident.

I don't think that I mentioned here that I went to see an orthopaedic doctor friend of mine on Wednesday to have him check out my right knee. I had been having a nagging pain in that knee whenever I tried to workout since Christmas. I had self-diagnosed the problem as a meniscus problem. And that's what the doc agreed on. The treatment was a cortisone shot. If that doesn't work, I'll need to get it 'scoped in the near future.

The doctor's office is in a new building in north Bettendorf. His group of docs had built an office over by the hospital in Davenport in the early '80's. And grew out of it. I'm afraid to get my bill for this most recent office visit. Counting x-rays and the cortisone shot, I'm betting gross charges of $750. If they end up scoping it, gross charges will exceed $7500. Maybe I should just drag the knee around. That's what they did in the old days.

Pitchers and catchers began reporting last week to the major league Spring training camps in Florida and Arizona. I'm wondering if fans will look past the Mitchell report and the whole steroids mess, and show up at games. Actually, I think that the fact that teams can't keep the same players for a period of several years reduces fan loyalty more than anything. That and the price of a ticket and the price of a beer.

3 gets recognition for sending Valentines to DOD. Thanks. Cheetah Girls. Very creative.

Tomorrow is President's Day. The securities markets are closed. And I plan to take the day off. I'll make a blog entry from an undisclosed location.

BCOT

No comments: