Monday, February 04, 2008

Monday

I guess I'm glad that the Giants won the Super Bowl. Lots of humble pie being served around the tables of all the talk radio Patriot apologists. Not that Tom Brady isn't a worthy protagonist, but I like the Eli stories better.

One of the best side-bar stories of the game was golfer Phil Mickelson giving up his football tickets in the middle of his round out at the Phoenix Open (which he almost won) to a young boy and his Dad. He seems to have just picked the recipients out of the crowd since he wasn't going to be using them. I'm sure that he had given some forethought to the act, but it's still a pretty good story.

Another side-bar story on the Giants is that of a double-amputee Army vet who became part of the team's entourage during the season. A very inspirational story (that ESPN is milking a little too much).

I'm very annoyed that Blogger's spell check is still down. I've had to drag out my little spelling dictionary for these last few days' entries.

If the Super Bowl is over, it must mean that Big Monday is back for college Basketball. KU and Mizzou tonight. And those schools really don't like one another. I wonder if my friend Erin will have the game?

I guess that a sign of the times is that the President made a news conference presentation of next year's $3.1 trillion budget with delivery of a laptop computer. I can't even fathom a trillion dollars, let alone 3.1 of them. I'm wondering how much, if any, is saved by delivering the budget on a laptop? Obviously, it was all for show. My guess is that you'll now see stories from the Democrats about the need to cut out the fat in the Defense Department allocations, and the GOP will be crowing about the need to make permanent the tax cuts. As a matter of fact, these stories could be like Brittany's obituary; they're probably already written.

In business news, all the talk is of Microsoft's bid for Yahoo. Yahoo has not been able to compete with Google, and they will definitely need to partner-up with another company to remain competitive in their space. Some of the stories suggest that Yahoo may even approach Google to fend off the Microsoft bid. I really don't know the dynamics of these companies, but it is interesting that the Yahoo folks look to be running from Microsoft's money rather than trying to make a deal. That may say something about Microsoft's hard-nosed, "take-n0-prisoners" approach to stomping rivals.

February allows me to make the comment that we can look forward to more outside activities "next month". Certainly, by the end of March, there are seasonably warm enough days that allow outdoor workouts, and the sun stays with us a lot longer each day. I'm just going to try to get my 3-4 workouts in each week so that I'll be able to hit the bike path for early Spring training come "next month".

The peanut gallery has been pretty quiet recently.

Have a great evening.

BCOT

No comments: