Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Wednesday

Well, the current First Day of the Rest of My Life was very anticlimatic. I'll do better tomorrow.

Had a nice din-din in IC last night with 3 and 4. Pizza at The Airliner. Seats in the front window. When I was in grad school, those were prime seats to watch the world go by. Times change. 4 was not happy about such a public location.

The DM seminar was everything that I expected it to be: a litany of technical problems that the IRS and Dept of Labor could expose under different circumstances. Actually, it recalled to mind a more elaborate session at Drake's law school in DM 25 years ago when the then new law was presented to an august gathering of lawyers and tax accountants. I've spent the equivalent of several months of time (maybe as much as a year or so) in training sessions over the years to maintain current knowledge. And current knowledge is of relevance for only 3-5 years. After that, new current knowledge makes the previous current knowledge pretty much useless.

My bet is that most of the rules that I learned in my Master's of Tax courses in the '70's are of limited use today. Plus, I now have Oldsheimer's and can't remember things anyway.

The Wells Fargo Arena in DM looks impressive from outside. I wonder how long Vets Auditorium will survive? The two venues are adjacent to one another and Wells was built because Vets just didn't present a sufficiently modern arena experience. My guess is that once Wells has taken most all of the business, a developer will come in, raze Vets and build some fancy retail-hotel multi-story combination to create more attraction for the downtown area. Then again, maybe it will simply become a parking lot.

I got lost in the parking ramp in DM as I was trying to exit. Then I got lost while trying to exit downtown DM. They have enough construction on the streets and freeways of DM to make for some serious road rage. And then some obviously lost driver panic-ed while trying to make the exit from the heavily under construction Dodge Street on to I-80 East when I was leaving IC after dinner. A little more excitement than necessary.

Running with 2 tonight. Wet and chilly. Just getting ready for the TT

The Cardinals could win their way into the World Series tonight. I still have an interest in that team from the old days. I have good memories of their wins in '64 and '67 and their loss to Detroit in '68. Radio days. Mixed feelings about the McGuire seasons.

Speaking of drugs, another mud slinging book on Lance hits the press tomorrow in France. The two guys writing it are the same ones who wrote an earlier effort to expose him as a cheat. They have the lawyer mantra going; "We're not out to beat a dead horse. The public deserves to know." Lance is not a hero to me. If he was dirty, then he should be accountable. But how long do the would-be Bernstein/Woodward sleuths get to dig? And, except for the French, how long does the public care?

Thanks for reading.

Be careful out there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bailed on the run last night. I went to Golds Monday and Tuesday and decided to take Wednesday off. At about 7:30 I felt like working out, but didn't - I didn't really want to drive all the way out to Golds and it was too dark to run outside. Plus, season finale of Project Runway was on. If I had done better at sewing camp I could so be on that show. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

When I was in college they told us that the basic courses were the most important; the courses that gave us the background rather than the specifics. The technical courses would be out of date in about 5 years, but we would have the background to adapt to the new technology and I found that to be true.
Susan....I thought you did just fine at sewing camp!!
I'm hoping I won't be too old to teach my granddaughters some of those skills when they get old enough