Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Tuesday

3 is off to NYC again tomorrow for another bulge-bracket interview. I'm worn out and I've just been talking about it. Good luck girl!

My experience with radio advertising has been less than stellar. When I tuned in to a game a couple weeks ago where my spot was supposed to be aired twice, I never heard it played. I called my sales rep to report my findings and, sure enough, the ad had not been played. Last Friday, I did hear the spot, by chance, but it sounded like the first draft which was re-cut in early September to fix a couple of smalls mis-pronunciations. When I again called my sales rep, she emailed me the spot that they had been using all season, and it was, in fact, the original rendition. I sent her back the email message that she had sent to me in early September with the corrected pronunciations. And she is saying that they need to re-cut it again? Whose on first?

The NBA season opens tonight. Do any games before April matter? At least the players now know that they are not supposed to carry guns anymore. I feel so secure.

The PGA has the season-ending tournament this weekend in Atlanta. It's for only the top 30 players, with no cut, and a $100,000 payday for the last place finisher. And Tiger and Phil are both no-shows, citing personal reasons. $25K a day (at a minimum) just isn't enough to get my attention.

So what's the right length for a season? College football is basically 5 months. The same for college basketball. Pro football runs about 6 months with the play-offs. Baseball is almost 7 with the play-offs. The NBA is probably close to 8. NASCAR is 10. Golf 10-11. Who cares about hockey? This is a rhetorical quiz.

For the religious among us, tomorrow, November 1st, is All Saints Day, a holy day of obligation in the Catholic Church. And while on the topic, All Souls Day is November 2nd. And the difference is...? I think that they are fewer saints, while all of the departed are considered souls.

I hate to agree with SI's Rick Reilly, but his back page column in last week's issue was pretty well on point. The topic was the irony that the San Francisco reporters who broke the baseball steroid story a couple years ago may end up in jail for contempt of the court if they don't reveal their sources for the story to the judge. This outcome for the messengers while among the abusers and their providers, one individual did a total of 4 months behind bars. As is well-documented on this blog, I don't like reporters. But this seems like a lousy result.

I'm off to avoid the goblins and street urchins.

Be extra careful out there.

No comments: