Monday, August 14, 2006

Monday

My office is a pit, and it's only Monday.

I have this theory. I think that it applies to the office and the home. You get stuff. In the mail. From church. The office. Extra copies of this or that. Something from a family member. Stuff. Lots of time, make that all the time, you don't know whether you should put the stuff in a drawer, a box or just on the pile of stuff you got earlier. For me, it goes on the pile of stuff I got earlier.

I have piles at the office that are almost dated. They get higher than 6-8 inches and I have to start another pile. I count four active piles in my office right now. That doesn't count a couple of old piles that have ceased to be relevant.

At my house, I have the counter pile. (Actually, it is the pile that is on the counter. A counter pile sounds like the result of a football play.) This too is an active pile. Since I have moved 2 or 3 times in the last few years, my home pile has been reconstituted with each move. Some of the old piles are in my second bedroom and I really don't want to go through them. At the time of a move, I usually just put the pile on the counter into a plastic bag and put it in a place at my new residence with other stuff with which I didn't know what to do.

I think that a pile has a half life equal to about a year. After that year, you can get rid of half of it and you probably won't miss it. That rule probably applies to both the office and the home.

2 and 3 are headed over to my place in a while for a little FFF. 3 is off to IC tomorrow.

Be careful out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I realize that your piles are not all junk mail, but it helps to not get so much mail and to sort what you do get over the circular file.

These web sites really work for getting rid of junk mail:

Snail: http://www.dmaconsumers.org/cgi/offmailinglist

Credit card: www.optoutprescreen.com

Don't know how the do not call works on cell phones but it great for land lines:

Do not call: https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

Warning having piles (the kind you are talking about) are genetic and get worse with age.