Monday, August 28, 2006

Monday PM

Just a few more lines this afternoon.

I did a pass through of my closets and laundry room inventory yesterday and pulled three boxes worth of clothing to take to the church store in inner-city Davenport. The criteria was basically if I hadn't worn it in two years, it went into the box. The sad part is that I could have filled another box or two if I got into the turtle necks and tee shirts. I think this effort is related to the "piles theory" that I expressed on this space a couple of weeks ago.

My next effort may be to replace the carpet in my second bedroom with the carpet that I saved from the living room when I had the remodel project two years ago. The carpet in that spare room is north of awful. 4 had rights to the saved piece for possible use in the dorm freshman year. With that time-limited option now passed, I am motivated to clean my basement and that saved piece needs to go.

I vaguely remember getting the carpet in the living room of the old farmhouse in Ottumwa. Mother won the couch and chair in a newspaper contest (counting coins in a fishbowl, I think), and we must have got the carpet about the same time because it matched the furniture (from a male's analysis). Other than some woven rag throw rugs, I don't remember anything other than linoleum or painted wood floors in the other rooms of that old place. Oh, I do think we had those cute little three matching rugs you see in a bathroom. Tacky, but not the bare floor.

That was the couch that Daddy would lay on and read the Sunday comics to Rosie and me. I see Dagwood Bumstead even today and I can still see Daddy grinning at one of Dagwood's antics or problems. The couch had hung over it the classic picture of the Guardian Angel watching over two children crossing a decrepit bridge. And that was the couch that we sat in for that family picture when I would have been six or eight years old.

Good luck to everyone for a successful week.

Be careful out there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice post today, dad. hope you have a good workout.

Anonymous said...

i would like to reiterate my intention to not run the turkey trot. i will go ahead and hit up starbucks, and maybe take a pic or two of the runners, but death becomes her that runs in the 10 degree weather with asthma. plus, i'd probably end up missing dinner anyway.