Friday, June 29, 2012

Friday

The heat wave has made life outside here a bit uncomfortable.  The humidity has not been as bad, but Fit Club in the 90+ heat last night had us all drenched by the end of class.  More of the same in the forecast for the next few days.

I'm entering some uncharted territory here at the office.  I've elected to reduce staff by one full-time position effective end-of-business today.  My practice has become less paper-intensive over the years, and my list of tax returns has been pared-down to a much smaller number.  The basic need for a full-time administrative assistant has largely evaporated.  I'll need to handle more of the ministerial tasks myself, and the phone, and I'll need to find some part-time word-processing help.  But I like the idea of approaching my future with a more productivity-oriented stategy.  We'll see.

I've really been aggrevated by the play-list of the local country station this week.  Seems like every time I'm in the car they have Keith Urban or Rascal Flatts going.  Once something gets under your skin, its hard to ignore.

Lots of moving parts this week in the fam with the bachlorette party in C-town.  Safe travels to all. Be careful out there!  The W and I will keep a watch out on Twitter for reports.

Interesting that the Supreme Court's ruling on the healthcare law came down to one guy deciding not to reverse the work of the two chambers of the legislative branch.  With an interpretation (Its a tax!) that the bill's supporters spent months (years?) arguing that it was not.  So the Democrats win by raising taxes on lots of folks outside the 1%?  The spin doctors will be working overtime.

So I'm not sure if I was more disinterested yesterday in the Supreme Court ruling or on Ann Curry's departure at The Today Show.  Her inability to attract/keep viewers may say something about the public's appetitie for the drivel on which she chose to report.  (Okay.  I don't watch Today.  But that doesn't mean that I can't trash it.)

A story in the local fishwrap this AM related a story on the founder of our Happy Joe's pizza chain losing a vacation home in the Colorado forest fire this week.  He was quoted as saying that, "Anything that could burn, burned to ashes."  Mother Nature has a very unforgiving nature.  Of course, this had to have been Rush's fault in some way.

Actually, I do have a comment about the negative impact on a person's mental balance of the constant drumbeat of talk radio.  My pal Roy has satellite radio in all of his vehicles, even the golf cart.  Most of the time, he has it tuned to FOX News.  The gospel preached on that channel doesn't vary and the obscure nuances that get incessantly run to the ground could probably be used at Gitmo.  The Gospel according to MSNBC from the Left likely has the same, but opposite, effects.  Keith Urban and Rascal Flatts are even better than the political drone.

Hope everyone has a good TGIF.

BCOT




No comments: