Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wednesday


Just a few lines tonight. 2 and I met for our normal run. And completed the route in our best time yet.

Successful night last night in IC at The Airliner with 4. We've been pretty lucky getting a table without waiting most of those Tuesday nights that I make the trip.

My pal Roy spent the weekend in Florida scoping out the possibility of buying a place and establishing residency there. Lots of retirees get places there and spend enough time in the state to qualify as a resident for tax purposes. Florida has no state income tax. Higher income folks take particular interest in the tax laws in retirement destination localities. Nevada and Texas are other popular tax havens.

The World Series started tonight. Usually, I have a nominal interest in the event. Not this year. I don't regularly follow either team, and I know of few of the players.

The weather forecast has lows in the high 20's at the beginning of the week. We've had some cool morning temps already, including enough to singe the tips of the leaves on my big hibiscus plant, but the high 20's is getting down there. The golf shirts may be done for the year.

4 got word this week that she did get the Spring term internship at the CR television station in a repeat performance of last year. You go girl!

The story tonight on Criminal Minds was set in the Tahoe area. Some nutcase was killing people at a little out-of-the-way motel with a rustic cabin motif. I'm thinking that I rode my bike right by the place. Maybe even stopped in for a soda. I thought that there was something a little odd with that clerk.

Brutal day in the market. The dollar is up. Oil is down. Global growth is slow. Earnings are off. Don't look for an early turn around. At this stage, companies are almost encouraged to get the bad news into the current statements. Why delay the inevitable? Earnings are already in the dumper, why not get all of the toxic stuff in the open now?

I'm thinking that the tailgating in Champaign this weekend for the Iowa-Illinois game could be very robust. (Very robust. A duplicative description?) I remember going down there years ago for an early season match between Illinois and Nebraska (on a Nebraska fan bus) for a Tail-Great event. I was impressed at the time of the Illini Nation's ability to party.

So have a good day/evening.

BCOT

No comments: