Thursday, October 02, 2008

Thursday

For the record, I'm watching the Cubs, not the debate. As far as I'm concerned, all of the politicians ought to be tossed out with the bathwater.

The new shoes came in today and I took them out for a shakedown cruise tonight. I think that I'll add some heel inserts to build up the support even a bit further (as I have in my last couple pair of running shoes). I'm thinking that good shoes are more important to a runner than a fancy bike is to a cyclist. Running is harder on the body than is cycling and the pounding that results from every stride needs to be dissipated and or otherwise muted.

The shoe manufacturers make new models annually of most of their good selling shoes. I'm sure that some of it is because of technological improvements. But a big part of it is pure marketing, as fashion is in play as well. This is Saucony's Progrid Omni 7. I think my first pair years ago was just called the Progrid Omni.

In other news, I've made a modification on my DirectTV subscription, and have now managed to render one of my TV's inoperable. Basically, I have my bill paid automatically from a credit card, and I get an ebill that I don't always review. I checked it this time and was reminded that I was/am paying $6 a month for a DVR that I have never used. So I went online and requested advice on how to change my deal to eliminate that fee. Several hours later, I got a nice response saying that the change had already been made. Very efficient.

Of course, when I got home and tried to fire up the living room TV, which is wired through the DVR (which had been taken off line), all I got was the dreaded blue screen. And I couldn't even get the black box from my basement set to work on the upstairs set as the TV's are of different vintages and have different connection points.

So I've moved my downstairs TV to my living room and now have no service downstairs. I've sent a follow-up email to the DirectTV Help Desk asking for advice. My suspicion is that the advice will be to contact their local independent dealer. Which will likely translate to a service call and the euphemistic "truck charge". Which could the end in a result not unlike the guy who didn't try to retrieve his spouse's stolen credit card because the thief was spending less than his wife. To be continued.

I think that it is awful that they have the Cubs playing a post-season game starting at 8:45 PM. For crying out loud, its on cable. Against the VP debate. And anything after 10 PM is out of my time zone anyway. I can't believe that they'll get that many more viewers than if they showed a fortieth rerun of an episode of Law and Order SVU. Another example of a major sports league selling it's soul to the TV devils.

1.1 is doing the TC marathon on Sunday. 2 and Mom are headed up tomorrow to join 1 as the support crew. (My schedule, including an IC commitment on Saturday with 4, is just too cluttered to make the trip North.) Last year was that ugly heat day and bad memories. I think that Sunday should be a lot better. So go out there 1.1 and have a day! Sorry I won't be there to lead the crew.

I may get an entry in on Friday. Tuscan red or not.

BCOT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martha said:

We love our DVR! When we changed to Direct TV John strongly suggested we get it and we use is all the time. The down side is that it ruins your ability to watch commercials or time outs in sports.

Carrie Strine said...

I also LOVE LOVE my DVR - we use it all the time here in Jordan - helps to streamline tv watching!!