Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sunday


My scheduled trip to Phoenix for a conference had to be cancelled for other business reasons. The market kept me on the phone much of last week, and some returns that I thought that I could get done, just didn't make it to the finish line. Plus, there's the possibility of additional market angst in the coming days. Biz is biz.

I pay cancellation fees on the United ticket, the hotel (because it was an Internet deal), and I will ultimately receive a very expensive binder from the conference sponsor (with schedules and presentation data). Tough to swallow, but there was no choice. Maybe I was too optimistic when I registered in the Spring that the October due date wouldn't be a problem. Then again, the market crash wasn't exactly on the radar scope at that time.

This situation illustrates the issues facing a small business that is heavily reliant on a single service provider. Clients expect access to that individual at all times of stress. There is no easy answer. But even brokers at big firms have their own clients, and its not like a long-time customer with a multimillion dollar account calls Merrill Lynch and expects to talk to the first available broker.

So anyway, I spent a good portion of yesterday at my desk wading through my messiest 2007 return. And am in the same position today. By Tuesday noon, the storm should have fully passed, as the absolute due date is Wednesday.

3 advises me that she got nipped by a small dog (on a leash with it's owner) during her run yesterday. She didn't think that the skin was broken at the time, although it did swell a little by the time she got back to her apartment. Hopefully, nothing more serious than that.
The incident does underscore the validity of my presumption that you need to be careful of animals. Of course, I have a history of being chased by various dogs over the years while on my bike. (When on a ride in the country, I routinely mentally go through my procedure to grab my air pump that is spring-loaded below my bike's top tube to fend off a pursuing canine.) It's not that I necessarily dislike dogs (except for the ones that dump in my yard). I just don't trust them.

Here's a little debate proposition: pet owners and pet non-owners are a little like our two political parties; the supporters of one group are not likely to move to the other side, and they each feel like the other side is prejudicially dis-inclined against them. Just a thought.
.
Gun-owners and non-owners might fall into the same sort of discussion.

Is "prejuducially dis-inclined" a bit repetitive? Is prejudicially a word?

My run last night produced another cramp in my left calf. There is just something about that gastrocnemius that doesn't like the improvement that comes with consistent training. Whenever I get past the "shuffle" step, there's a trip cord that says, "Not too fast there, buddy boy."

Today is the running of the Chicago marathon. Last year, they pulled people off of the course because of the heat. The temp this morning was in the low 70's with about 50% humidity. Not ideal, but workable. A Kenyan (surprise!) won in 2:06. I just tried to get on the site, and couldn't. (Is Skip running this year? And isn't 3's roomie also doing it?) The same thing happened to me last week when trying to check on 1.1 in the TC marathon. Lots of folks checking on lots of folks.

So get out there and have a great day. More later.


BCOT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martha said:

One of the best lessons learned growing up on a farm is that all animals are unpredictable.

Skip is running today.

Temperature in LV is 57...go figure

Anonymous said...

Martha (again)

Finance students and jobs:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/education/12student.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss