Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thursday

I'm thinking that it was almost 70 here today. 2 and I did our run in shorts this evening. Record-setting time for Lt.PC.

Halloween tomorrow. Actually, several of the localities around here have been celebrating different things since last weekend. They all choose their own times for parades, trick-or-treating, and the like. There are very few things that I can say positive about Halloween. The girls enjoyed dressing up, trick-or-treating with kids in the neighborhood, and hoarding candy for months. There may still be some in the back of bedroom drawers.

Anyone notice that the Phillies won the Series last night? About the only interesting thing to me about that rain-delayed fifth game was the betting results. I guess the bookies' rules were tested by the circumstances. Did they just call the first night a push, and roll the pot to Wednesday?

In response to AM's comment from Tuesday, I clearly remember Grandma's Saturday Evening Post collection. And the frequent appearance of Norman Rockwell prints on the covers. Not wanting to destroy my image among my loyal readers, but that magazine registers on my scale about the same as Playboy: I mostly looked at the pictures and read the cartoons.

And RevKev, the camera is a Canon PowerShot SX10SI, with a 20x zoom lens, and 10.0 mega pixel clarity. Not the fanciest machine in their line-up, but I'm optimistic that it will meet my needs. All I have to do now is figure out how it works. We're talking video, sound and lots of things that I hadn't even considered. Technology rocks! (There's a rumor afoot that 2 is dressing as Sarah Palin tomorrow night, so I need to accelerate the learning curve.)

I was in a casual conversation today with a clerk in a store and I volunteered the factoid that the last Presidential election was the impetus for me to cancel my telephone land line. She commented in response that she had signed up on the Do Not Call Registry, and that she had not received any political solicitation calls this year. (The store was a local Trophy and Trinkets place. I was buying a box of US flag lapel pins to give out with my business card at client employee meetings. I have extra now, so I'm sending a couple to the Big O.)

October 30th is the anniversary of Orson Wells' reading of The War of the Worlds on CBS radio in 1938. There's lots on the web about the myth and reality of that presentation. Interestingly, I found nothing in my quick review that connects Orson Wells, family-wise, to the story's author, H.G. Welles. (Of course, the first clue was that the names are spelled differently, but I didn't know that when I started this paragraph.)

1 has a "Last Day" on her current job tomorrow. And then starts her full-time position (with full benefits) next week. She's done a great job getting over a bit of a rough patch. DOD material for the near future.

Thanks for reading.

BCOT

No comments: