Sunday, October 05, 2008

Sunday AM

Here's to 4 as Daughter of the Day. We did Dad's Day in IC yesterday with her sorority. Rather than an evening soiree or a home game tailgate party, they bought out a local bar and had an away game "Watch the Game Together" lunch gig. It worked out pretty well except that the bar was understaffed and it took forever to get our sandwiches served.

I took a pass on the evening "apartment crawl" (as compared to a downtown pub crawl). Since I wasn't going to be staying in town over night, I figured that I didn't need the additional liquid refreshments.

As of now, Chicago is a combined "Oh for the 2008 post-season" in baseball. I guess that I didn't expect the Cubs to win the World Series, but I didn't expect them to get swept in three by the Dodgers either. The bats didn't show up, the gloves were iffy, and the pitchers were so-so. And Torre out-managed Pinella. It all adds up to, "Wait'll next year". Again.

Things got a little chippy at the end of the ND-Stanford game yesterday. I don't like to see that kind of extra-curricular activity, but it does remind me of a comment in a Sports Illustrated article following that ND-Miami game from 15-20 years ago where there were several cases of near-fisticuffs. The writer concluded his observations about that part of the game by saying something to the effect that, "Football is a rough game that is best played by nasty young men." If the Irish have managed to now find a few nastier players, maybe they'll be able to compete with the big boys again.

My DVR saga goes on. The latest email communication suggests that they are eventually going to get it right. Interesting to read comments from AM and Carrie about their positive experiences. For me, there just isn't anything on that is worthy of the effort.

More later today.

BCOT

No comments: