Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sunday





Sunday at SB's.

Great day yesterday tailgating in IC. I'll try to get a couple of pics up later. The Hawks gave Wisconsin an old fashioned whipping. Not that 2, Mom and I saw any of it from the parking lot (except an occasional glimpse on the big screen on the stadium's scoreboard). Roy's parking pass provided for a premium position, 5 spaces in front of the Southwest gate. BBQ. Ambiance. Lots of empty beer cans.

Yesterday's exercise prompted the question several times of just when I started going to games, but not actually going to the game. I don't think that it happened at a specific point in time. It was/is an acquired life style. Mom pointed out that at least one time when we lived in Chicago in the late '70's, we went to South Bend and ended up not going to the game because the scalper's price on tickets wasn't reasonable. But that was a pure economic choice. And back in a time when ND was expected to win on most Saturdays.

By the mid '80's, the boys' trips to Iowa State football games, and the once-a-year trip to a Cubs' game had become much more about the trip than the game itself. I remember a Winnebago trip from Des Moines to Ames and my pal Wally and I watching the game on the RV's television. And one of the following years when we did the same thing in Lincoln. The Sports Corner at Clark and Sheffield in Wrigleyville offered the same diversion.

Along the same line of reasoning, there was at least one year when I was the full-time driver for our RAGBRAI group. Anyone who says RAGBRAI is about cycling has missed the best parts of the ride.

On our family trips to Adventureland in DM, my routine was to find a park bench and camp out for the day. And I really enjoyed those days. But since I always paid for admission to the park, I don't think that those days qualify in this analysis in the same sense as going, but not going.

Uncle Phil figured out that the World Series will be finalized before November this year. Even if it goes to seven games. If it goes to six, that game will be delayed so that Fox can broadcast a 30 minute spin cycle from the Big O. I was at first quite a bit put off that a network could be bought off in such a manner, but that kind of decision really falls to Major League Baseball, and those are the Einsteins who had the Cubs start a game at 9PM so that it would fit nicely in TBS's schedule. MLB is about $$$'s, and the O campaign is rolling in cash.

Hope everyone has a great week.

BCOT

No comments: