Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sunday

Here's a little recognition to all the Mom's out there. Have a great day. I can state universally, "You deserve it!"

Miserable day here so far. Rain and wind. Maybe a let-up later in the afternoon? This is the kind of day where a ride-no ride decision is a no-brainer. The couch wins.

The state highway patrols and local police/sheriffs have joined forces for a "speed-trap" weekend. It started Friday afternoon, and I heard that there was a trap set on the main Interstate connecting the states here across the Mississippi. On my ride yesterday North of town, I came across an officer sitting in a chair on an overpass over I-80 with a "radar gun", and a radio headset connecting him to several officers on the road below. I told him that he was not playing fair. He hardly even smirked. I think that he was liking his work a little too much for my tastes.

I also got "red-necked" on my ride yesterday. At the infamous red-winged-blackbird corner, there was no cross traffic, so after multiple looks both ways and slowing to about 5 mph, I went across the intersection. Going into about a 15-20mph headwind. Some yea-hoo in an extended cab, full-sized pick'em-up then comes from behind, slows to my speed, lowers his passenger-side window, and advises me, "you need to be stopping at that sign just like everybody else." I always appreciate this kind of advice from concerned citizens.

It is Bike To Work Week here this week. I, of course, will not be using the two-wheel approach for my commute, but it is an interesting, and timely, topic for conversation. Do the math. Say gas is $4 a gallon, your car gets 20 miles per gallon in town, and your commute is 16 miles round trip. That's 80 miles per week, at a gas cost of $16. Times 50 weeks equals $800 per year. Just to get to work. Save half that (and the cost of your SB's), and you could be a millionaire one day.

My neighbor fired-up his roto-tiller yesterday and prepped my garden for my tomato plants. Does a 3' x 4' space qualify as a garden? What is the difference between a plot and a garden? Is the term "garden-plot" redundant? How many usages of the word "garden" can be as an adjective, as in garden variety? Difficult questions, all.

This was the day for a fairly popular local running event, the QC Distance Classic, a half-marathon on the Illinois side. An acquaintance who runs quite a bit was just through here and he and his girlfriend (who regularly wins her age group in these local races) had taken a weather-related pass on the event. I would have made the same choice. As a matter of fact, if the wind alone is like it was yesterday come TOMRV, I'll be a no-show. I mean, it's not like I get paid to ride into head-winds. I hope the Rochester and Fargo marathon runners have good weather luck for their days.

Later...

The weather improved this afternoon, but I couldn't muster the energy to head out into the wind. Tomorrow may be my first venture out with The Monday Night Ride for several years. The post-ride get-together at Gov's is really the appeal. Not that I have become a wine snob, but do you suppose that Gov's actually serves wine that doesn't come in a box?

I watched a lot of golf this afternoon. The guy whom I wanted to win lost out to Sergio in a play-off. That course should have had a warning sign posted at the first tee today. Phil carded a very pedestrian 78, and the guy who started the day second, and who has won like nine times on tour, shot a not-so-funny 81 in the wind.

2 did a fine job with spaghetti tonight at Mom's house.

Good luck to 4 on her last week at Iowa as a junior.

And "hey" to everyone else on having warm sunshine to your face, and a slow breeze to your back.

BCOT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the yee-hoo in the extended cab makes ME angry!