Saturday, May 03, 2008

Saturday

It was Derby Day in Kentucky. I really don't follow horse racing, but I have a number of client's who own horses and who will frequently go to the track.

This is a picture of the winner, Big Brown. The second place finisher, a filly named Eight Bells, broke both front ankles at the end of the race and was "put down". Now the critics will be lined up to offer their opinions that fillies should not be allowed to race against the boys.

My pal Pete and I attended a funeral this morning of a long-time mutual client. He was an 85-year-old attorney who had fought cancer over the last couple of years, but who had remained fairly active up through the first part of this year. Never married. No kids. An old-time, smokey back-room politician. An interesting personality.

I had attended the visitation of a retired gentleman of like age a couple of weeks ago. He had six kids, lots of grand kids and was well-known and well-liked on the Iowa side where he lived and had run a successful business.

I remember Margaret and Philip going to a lot of "Rosary's" and funerals in my high school and college years. (For Roman Catholic visitations back then, it was normal for the evening gathering to be lead by the priest in saying the rosary.) He would have been about my current age at that time. It has occurred to me that when a person has lived in one town for 25-30 years, and gets to be 60 years old, you have come to know a lot of people, and they start dying on you.

It was real windy here again today. And a bit cool. Pete and I put those two factoids together and decided after the funeral that biking was not in the cards for the day. Then later in the day, I talked to 1 who was reporting on her final "long" run which she had completed in similar conditions in preparation for her May 25th marathon. So I sucked it up late in the day and got in 17+ on the bike path.

2 runs her half marathon early tomorrow in Cincy. At the pre-race expo, she signed up for a service to have her splits coming to my cell phone as text messages. Cool.

4 reports that she didn't get lost today on an assignment to the Amana Colonies.

Aunt Martha's report on Whitey's Ice Cream in USA Today was from the Travel Section. I had missed the story since I don't always read that section.

My plan tomorrow is SB's, Lowe's, mailbox repair, yard, bike ride, and maybe, steak on the grill.

Have a good evening.

BCOT





No comments: