Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Tuesday PM

I know nothing about facetime. I was just saying that I wanted to see 1 and 3 soon. Have I inadvertantly stepped into a parallel zone beyond a parent's universe?

Another day at the office. Riding tonight for 18 or so.

Had an acquaintance stop by at coffee this AM who had recently been to Italy and had been scheduled to bike some of the mountains used in the Giro d'Italia. Turns out that on the 2nd or 3rd day there he had his briefcase with assorted valuables and passport stolen. He had to go through a bunch of hoops to get another passport, etc. He says the pick-pockets in Europe are legendary. They did get their riding done. He said it was incredibly hard. I want to do it one day.

Work has included a number of meetings lately with soon-to-be retirees. Lots of people continue to work beyond the time that they must and are not prepared for a life off the job. Others will simply never retire because they enjoy whatever it is that they are doing. Most fear that they may run out of money or that the costs of future health care will ravage their assets. There are lots of books out there on all these topics. In many respects, we could be talking about an economics text book: the answers are different depending on your assumptions.

Augustana's former President Treadway said in one speech, "Find out what you like, and do it." Not a lot of people are able to do that, either for economic or wunderlust reasons. Lucky are those who can match a career with their heart.

I have received several compliments on Margret recently, as per usual. One guy at church on Sunday was talking about a '63 Ford that he had owned. When I mentioned to him that even though I had replaced the motor I still had some leaks, he said, "They always leaked. That was how you knew it was time to add some oil!" I thought that that was a pretty on-point comment.

I am reminded of the time that I literally drove an old teenager's car dry of oil my junior year of high school. Not a particularly stellar moment for me.

I encourage 4 to give us some material.

So I'm off to hit some hills around DCC.

Be careful out there

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate - facetime is a term in the biz that refers to sticking around the office late at night if the higher ups are in sight, making sure that they know you're putting in your time. In my office, leaving before 10pm mon-thurs is pretty taboo, b/c someone important may wander through and notice your absense. Even if there isn't much to do, you should have a spreadsheet available for looking busy, and some other sight (ahem...) open for entertainment.

Anonymous said...

oohh. now i get it. you know, i'm not in the biz...