Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Tuesday

Just a few lines this AM to acknowledge that I failed to deliver last night on my intent to add to yesterday morning's entry on the TC Marathon weekend.  It was a long day at the office and a short evening on Maplecrest.  The blog didn't make the agenda.

The new Home Page pic is looking up the coastline from the seaside sidewalk/bike path in downtown Salerno.  I think that this means a Northwest view on a directional basis.  This is the place that we stayed for those first four nights in Italia.

Its an Election Day in Davenport.  City aldermen elections.  I didn't realize the occasion until I heard it on the news coming to work.  Since I don't live in Davenport, I am not eligible to vote.  Our office building IS located in Davenport, so the decisions that end up getting made by the City Council definitely can impact my pocketbook.  And rarely in a good way.  The politics of Davenport have a poor history.  Leadership has not been one of the attributes of most of these officials.  Not that Davenport has a corner on that market.

Off-cycle elections like this tend to have low turn-outs from the electorate.  I'm guessing that 10% of eligible voters might be a high number.  Which is double the expectation of a school board election.  So those positions that can have a regular, direct impact on voters are usually elected with the fewest ballots.  Welcome to America!

Trying to figure out why SI put Kate Upton on the cover of last week's magazine.  Yes, she does share the same last name as the two brothers for the Braves (who have now been eliminated from the play-offs).  And yes, she has been the cover-girl from the last two swim-suit issues.  But really, a baseball play-offs cover?  I get it...sex sells.  But this one fails to deliver.

Actually, SI has gone all-in on the skin trade.  Their web-site is one of my Favorites in my browser, so I'm usually on the site a couple of times a day.  For the last couple of years, they have maintained in a fairly prominent position on their Home Page a Swimsuit section that is updated daily with new pics and stories on the models from the swimsuit edition.  Key data for the sports enthusiast.

(To be fair, I think ALL of the sports websites...FOX, ESPN, etc...have sections of their Home Pages dedicated to cheerleaders, fight-ring models, and women sports figures and fans in varying degrees of undress.  Generally, these are not sites that feminists frequent, or there would likely be a constant cry of sexploitation.  Personally, and surprisingly, I find these efforts by the websites to attract eyeballs as being mostly annoying...regardless of how pretty the girls may be.)

Another big day ahead here.  Make it a good one in your neighborhood.

BCOT

No comments: