Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wednesday

So I had the TV on last night, sound muted, while I was resting on the couch, before going to bed...exciting life on Maplecrest, eh?  Anyway, one of the regional sports networks had the Kansas-Kansas State basketball game on from Manhattan.  Rivalry game.  (I had forgotten that K-State had brought in former Illinois coach Bruce Weber for the head job.  Surprisingly, doing a good job too!)  But the thing that got my attention was the visual mess of the K-State uniforms.  Where do the designers come up with this stuff?

When it comes to bad uni's, Maryland football is near the top of any list.  Oregon does lots of combinations of green and yellow. And some of the variations that other schools have done with combat/military tweaks don't come across very well on the tube.  I'm sure that Nike, Adidas, Russell, Under Armor and the other apparel makers are just competing for new contracts.  Whatever.  I like the basics.

When it comes to the pro leagues, I think that its all about merchandising revenue.  How many colors and combinations can the Bulls create to put a "Jordan" name on the back of a jersey?  I mean, when they went to the black uni's to be worn in about five games a year, it was evident that the only thing in mind was collector sales.

And all of the major pro leagues have "throw back" uniform days.  With these Steeler jersey's, the only relevant question is, "Why?"  And the answer is always, "Money!"  Who wants one of these things?  Whatever.

Speaking of marketing, does anyone outside of SF and Baltimore care about the football game that will be played in NO in 10 days?  The commercials have an appeal to lots of people.  And its an excuse to have a local party, but really, I had enough Harbaugh years ago.  If they do any more stories making Ray Lewis a sympathetic character, I'm going to ralph.  Hmmm.  Just did.

May get back here later today.  Make it a good one.

BCOT



No comments: