Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sunday

A weekend with The Winniferous always reduces my view of the world to the basics.  I'm back to being a full-time caretaker and what I might want to do is always addressed with the proviso of the impact on my W responsibilities.  Not that I have the most interesting life, but whatever  my "normal" is, it's a little less than that on these weekends.

My first ride of the year out in the country today confirmed that I need another week of training on the bike path.  And that's a conclusion reached without regard for the 20mph wind ripping out of the South.  (This would have been a perfect day for a tailwind ride to Dubuque.)  The harsh truth is that its going to be harder for me to get up the hills this year.  Bummer.

They just rang the tornado sirens here.  I've been watching the storm head this way all afternoon on the TV alerts.  Big gusts of wind, but no rain, thunder or really dark skies.  I'm guessing that all communities are a bit sensitive since those storms in the South in the last month.

1 advises that we have reservations at the Holiday Inn in Country Club Plaza for the KC FFF weekend in July.  Sounds like she did a Priceline purchase at a good rate.  I'm generally familiar with the hotel and it's location, but 1 and 1.1 have stayed there before and are confident that we won't be doing another CR experience.  Its walking distance to all of the Plaza, including SB's.

This may shock some of you, but I'm not a big George Will fan.  He's too Inside-the Beltway-Elitist for me, even if he does like baseball.  I rarely get through his columns (which tend to be well written), but I will usually read enough to see who (or what) may have caught his fancy that day.  I think that I consider him a less-accomplished and younger David Broder (who to my knowledge did not share the interest in baseball).

Anyway, a column of his last week caught my eye at coffee and I did my usual speed-read of a few paragraphs.  What generated a second read were three words that he had in the column that I could not define off the top of my head.  Sentient.  Regnant.  Solipsism.  I think that he regularly inserts some extra-credit words in his columns just to confirm that he is smarter than the reader, but three at a time is making a statement that he is really smarter.  Isn't there a rule out there for journalists about not insulting their audience?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/history-lessons-for-obama-and-other-liberals/2011/05/11/AFXxmdsG_story.html  I had to re-read the column to find the words that had originally given me the thought that I just shared, but the point of the column might resonate for Center-Right folks.  You on the Left should go elsewhere.

Really a good story today on the PGA tour.  David Toms, who is in his mid-40's, won the tournament in Fort Worth, his first win in several years.  He's one of the truly good guys.  Quite a feat for a guy who suffered a very dramatic loss just last week in a sudden-death play-off when he missed a three-footer for par on the first play-off hole. 

And American Chris Horner (who is almost 40!) won the Tour of California today.  Another victory for the Geezer Squad.  With 60 Minutes now broadcasting the latest dirt on cycling, every rider will suffer public doubt.  Let it be known the LtPC is on high-dosage ibuprofen most of the time. 

I may try to add a couple more paragraphs after dinner.

BCOT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Martha said:

The evening news had reports of tornado activity in the Twin Cities...hope our family escaped damage