Monday, May 09, 2011

Monday

You need to double click on the picture to get a sense of the number of deer lolling-about in the shade adjacent to one of our tee-boxes at my  pal Richard's golf course in Texas on Saturday afternoon.  The deer were all over the place.  They need to thin the herd. 

The construction on my street is getting serious.  Its down to a single lane, on my side of the street with them now getting ready to pour concrete on the lane on the other side.  That probably means that they'll be tearing out my side of the street sometime next week, leaving me without access to my driveway for a couple of weeks.  The price of progress.

I am surprised at the number of cars that ignore the "Road Closed" signs at either end of the construction zone.  After normal work hours, there is a single lane open, but its definitely a mess, and people whom I assume can read just keep on piling by.

My latest literary effort (non-blog) is a letter to the editor of the the Illinois-side paper.  One of their over-the-edge Lefty columnists had an entry last week asserting that all the brouha-ha against everything Obama was racially motivated.  The writer is a long-time local PBS personality (?) who makes no bones about his bias.  I almost wonder if he threw out the racism charge to see if anyone was reading his work.

Letters to the editor are now done on-line, of course.  You need to sign your name to the letter and provide your city of residence (at least that's the rule for this paper).  An assistant editor emailed me back after a couple of days to verify my existence, which seemed like the minimum due-diligence applicable for this type of thing.  If it is published, I'll include it in a future entry here.

In another example of how things can go wrong in daily stuff, I received an updated itinerary Friday for my and 4's trip to Spain in August.  The airlines seem to tweak schedules and various departure times may end up moving a few minutes.  This was actually the second such adjustment that I had received for our tickets.  I finally read this one today, and discovered that they had omitted the final leg of our return trip on the revised itinerary.  Oops!  (They actually had made the same error on the first revision, but that one escaped my notice.  Shock!)

Long story short, it got fixed, but it took a series of emails and phone calls today to make that happen.  I'm just glad I detected the issue now rather than in August.  Things happen.  Service people at some desk fail to click one little box and 4 and I end up over night in Detroit with an expensive ticket to get home.  Hmmmm.

A rider on the Giro had a fatal crash today.  Very rare in these races, but it does happen.  Rule One always applies.

Thanks for reading.

BCOT

No comments: