Friday, July 30, 2010

Friday

Not much to add for a Friday.  I hear my good friend Tuscan Red calling me.

3 is officially living out of a suitcase.  Paraphrasing an old sports euphemism, "If it doesn't kill ya', it'll make ya' stronger!"  Keep you eye on that patch of road just ahead.  You can do it!

Another example of "gotcha" news.  Earlier this week, some pitcher for the Washington Nationals made an indirect dis of a generic Miss Iowa ("It's like you were expecting Miss Universe and Miss Iowa shows up!"), the media put the comment on the wires, and now the current Miss Iowa (from Bettendorf) is in DC to throw out the first pitch for tonight's game.  It's really not political correctness as much as it is the definition of "news".

I'm headed to Cedar Falls tomorrow morning with a group from Geneva to play some one-day matches against a golf club located there.  Obviously, Geneva was desperate for players to accept me as a participant.  My thought when the request for players came over my email this AM was, "It's an excuse not to bike.  I'm in!"  Plus, I can take the morning paper along and work a Saturday crossword as I don't have to drive.  Suite.

BTW, RevKev, suite, as a term of art, incubated in our fam for the better part of two decades before it became of common usage in our dialect.  I'm guessing that it was probably the late '80's when we made a nothing-special, get-a-way trip with the girls to C-town for the weekend.  By that time, our numbers required either two adjoining hotel rooms or a bigger single room with options.  A search for economical alternatives yielded a reservation at a Hilton Suites.  Which became Hilton Candy in our family lore.  And the great memory was always suite.  So when sweet became the hip response, our suite was always hipper.

A little of Barbara Mandrel's, I was Country when Country Wasn't Cool. (I'm thinking that the tenses and math on that as a comparative might be okay.)

Off to do my yard so that I won't have to deal with it on Sunday.  Have a great weekend.

BCOT

2 comments:

camperkev said...

Reminds me of "bad shrimp," which originated at Skip & Sue's wedding, well, the night of the rehearsal dinner anyhow. I didn't hear of any reported cases of bad shrimp from the reunion.

Anonymous said...

Bad shrimp will probablyh surface again as the 3rd generation gets a little older.

Tahoe Phil