Sunday, July 04, 2010

Sunday

Happy 4th to the peanut gallery!

Very low-key day here on Maplecrest.  I did a late-morning ride on my own and fought the wind for anything headed West or South.  Good 31 mile workout, but I spent the afternoon on the couch in recovery-mode.  Definitely should have employed 2 and done a tailwind ride with her picking me up 50 miles North.  The Monday ride may be a short one!

I finally expended the frustration-energy and diagnosed the upstairs TV problem as a defective satellite receiver.  I swapped-out the basement reciver to the upsatirs TV and all systems were "go".  (There are enough wires going in between the receiver and the TV that you need an IT guy just to set it up.  I just tried to remember the connections and took a shot.  Not sure of the purpose of the left-over wires.)

I get charged a monthly fee per-receiver.  I'm taking the Under on the probability of DirectTV getting the paperwork straight on the trade-in of the broken unit for an operational one.  (They each have a distinct Identifier Code.)

Interesting discussion out there about Stephen Strasburg not being added to the All-Star roster.  I think that that is the correct decision, but that's based on the presumption that All-Star selection remains a distinctive event.  It's complicated.  Players want to be selected, but many don't necessarily want to play, preferring instead a few days off from the grind.  And since a tie game is considered an acceptable outcome by the MLB Powers That Be, who's to say a rookie sensation (who's the biggest story in the sport this season) shouldn't be part of the show?

So we have Client #9 getting a new gig on CNN, which begs the question, "How long does a defrocked governor need to sit out before a media exec can come up with a viewership statistic that puts the tool back in the game?"  With LtPC showing no discrimination, a similar question can be asked of the exceedingly stupid (and, apparently, equally horny) now former Athletic Director at the University of Georgia.  Check out the net.  The "red" in the Georgia Red and Black will have a whole new meaning for a year or two.

My pal Pete was taking the day to go up to the outdoor venue in Southern Wisconsin, Alpine Valley, with a couple of his boys to see The Dave Mattews Band.  I've never been there, but I guess it seats 30+K and is like Ravinia in C-town, field seating with big screens for those in the far places.  I think Jimmy Buffet does a show there most years.

So you've got the old guys from the 70's still drawing them in, and you've got the new guy that 4 went to see last night in Lincoln.  And 3 is in The Berkshires to see another deal.  And I'm on my couch watching a James Bond re-run.  Who has a life?

BCOT

1 comment:

Kristen Charles said...

Bieber fever!! Now I've got a way to connect to my younger cousins bc LBH, I still belong at the kids table.