Saturday, July 24, 2010

Saturday

I doubt if I get back to this today, so what you get now is what you get.

My laptop seems to have a power problem and I am making this entry from the office.  The battery on the laptop has been on the fritz since Tahoe, but the computer had been working with direct current.  Not so this AM.  I haven't been on it for a couple of days, and when I tried to fire it up at SB's this morning, I got nuttin'.  It should still be under warranty, but what a pain.

I've had a few discussions in recent days about my focal point while on the road cycling.  When I'm with @bcbison on those morning runs, I never see a lot more than his rear wheel.  This pic actually suggests a little broader vision than what I normally have on those rides.  And the perspective is off a little as I'm usually directly behind him with about 18-24 inches of leeway.

When I was doing the grind up Mt. Rose from Reno last week, it occurred to me that my up-road perspective wasn't a lot different than when I was in Petey's draft back in Iowa.  Rarely did I try to sight-see on that very picturesque route.  (Of course, even when you're driving a car on the Mt. Rose highway, you don't spend a lot of time looking at the scenery!)

This is in contrast to @bcbison who is always pointing out this thing or that on our rides (all while he is pounding along at a 20mph pace!).  I'm afraid to look up, and he's doing the travel-guide thing!

I'm saying that his vision is more like the classic picture-book scene from the open road.  Lots of horizon viewing, catching all on the periphery.  The crops, the cows and any other critters (four or two legged!).

This discussion has obvious cross-over application to a person's approach to life.  And maybe to everybody depending on the particular facts one faces from time to time.  I think that we all have to grind at times to get through those tougher spots.  Pound the pedals to get through that switch-back to get further up the hill.  It's never always easy.

It rained for most of the morning here.  The Bix runners had to just get soaked.  That makes the post-race beer-drinkin' something less than exciting.  I suppose that the steam will come out this afternoon.

So have a good weekend to all.  Thanks for reading.

BCOT


No comments: