Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Tuesday

I've always maintained that if you stand on a busy street corner long enough, you'll be amazed at who eventually comes by your standing place.  I use the term "street corner" euphemistically.  In my world these days, the street corner is most often a Starbuck's coffee shop.  Late Sunday morning, another example of the application of this rule came to the surface.

I had done the DeWitt ride with my pal Pete and, after a shower, had ventured over to the Duck Creek SB's to read the paper, feed my caffeine habit, and to meet 2 to upload the prior Sunday's pics from 1.01's baptism.  All of these goals had been accomplished and I had strode over to the bar to order my refill-to-go when this huge-ly tall guy walks in and captures the attention of the entire place.

I'm a little intrigued, so rather than take off with Margret for my scheduled venture over to Home Depot, I go back and sit on the couch and take in the scene.  Not all that coincidentally (as it turned out), the local fish-wrap had had a column by one of it's distinguished sports writers (what an oxymoron!) that morning about former NBA player/broadcaster Bill Walton appearing Sunday afternoon at a function up river in Clinton, Iowa at Ashford University.

(Understand that this SB's shop is right off the Interstate and it gets a lot of visits from various entertainment and other personalities coming from or going to the primary local airport.  The baristas always have stories of so-and-so coming through at oh-dark-hundred for an order to-go. For people on the road, a Cup 'o Joe from SB's can be a bit of a touch of home.  It works for me too.)

Anyway, I'm sitting there on the couch by myself, taking in the scene, and lo' and behold, Walton comes over and sits at the other end of the couch while he waits for his drink.

BW:  Mornin'.

LtPC:  Good morning.  You're a ways from home.

BW:  Yeah.  But it's a great day.  We just came in from Denver, and the sunrise this morning was awesome.

LtPC:  I had a little lower vantage point for it.  We did a 45 mile ride early this AM and it was suite.  My name is LtPC.  I see from the paper you've got a gig this afternoon in Clinton.  Why Clinton?

BW:  Hey, PC.  Nice ta' meet 'cha.  Oh, I'm registered with a couple of speaker's bureau's and this Ashford U is owned by some folks I've done some work for out in LA.  I'm doing their commencement address next week.  This afternoon's deal is part of the package.  No biggie.

LtPC:  Don't you have some media thing going with the NBA play-offs now in full swing?  Clinton seems a little far off the beaten track for a guy like yourself.

BW:  Well, I kind of stepped aside last year from any regular commitment to do games.  My back was killin' me.  And the travel sucks, even in First Class.  I'll do spots and telephone call-ins, but I like being on my schedule, not somebody else's.

LtPC:  Your boy Luke is with the Lakers.  Do you get to his games?

BW:  If I'm in town, I'll usually go.  But it's not like I can't miss a few if I've got other stuff goin' on.  I didn't see any of the Oklahoma City games these last couple of weeks.  There was a Greatful Dead reunion/convention in Bakersfield that I didn't want to miss.  It was a blast.

LtPC:  OK.  I have to ask.  You still a Celtics fan?

BW:  Absolutely!  That year we won it, '86, when I was backing up McHale and The Chief was the most fun I ever had on the court.  The Boston fans were fabulous.  Still are.

LtPC:  Does it feel like that was almost 25 years ago?

BW:  Everytime I stand up.

LtPC:  Not to ruin this new friendship, but I went to Notre Dame.  You remember the game when we ended the 88 game winning streak?

BW:  Everyday.  Still the worst day of my entire career.  Well, maybe when we lost later that year to NC State in the tournament and ended the 7 year title run was worse.  But I remember every play of that Notre Dame game.  You guys were just lucky.

LtPC:  Whatever.  You know, Coach Wooden is one of the few guys in the world whom I would walk across the street to meet.  I remember being on the stage with him at a high school awards ceremony in South Bend in maybe 1970. And he gave his Pyramids To Success speech.  Without notes.  For 40 minutes. And without some much as a hesitation between sentences.  I was amazed.  And impressed for a lifetime.

BW:  He is by far the most inspirational person in my life.  I saw him just last week.  He's still sharp as a tack.  Told me I needed a haircut.  He hasn't missed a beat.

LtPC:  What was the secret to his coaching?

BW:  Well, during that run, he had the best players.  But he always made us play as a team.  Never let one guy do it all.  Even with Kareem and me, he had those other guys fully involved.  I'm not sure that there were as many teams back then with the talent that is spread out today.  Most of our games were over early.  I mean, Butler?

LtPC: Enough basketball.  You were quite the radical back in college.  What's your politics these days?

BW:  I'm a big Obama fan.  But my accountant showed me a schedule the other day about what my tax bill might be next year.  I'm not sure I like that part of his agenda.  Hey, I'm from California.  I believe in most things California.  They don't call us The Left Coast for geographical reasons only!

LtPC:  Whatever.  Last point.  What are you goin' to talk about this afternoon in Clinton?

BW:  The power of positive thinking.  The great things about life.  Friends.  Family.  Hard work.  Team play.  Generosity.  Patience.  John Wooden.  Larry Bird.  They'll have to put me on a clock.  I can go on for a long time. 

LtPC:  I have no doubt.  Wow!  Where has the time gone?  It looks like they have your soy-skinny-no fat-vanilla foo-foo latte up. You should get going.

BW:  Say, I could use you in my speech this afternoon.  Why don't ya' come on up and help me out?  Here's a couple of VIP passes to the program.  Bring a friend.

LtPC:  Thanks, Bill.  You're the best.  I'll see ya' there.

================

So there you have it.  Another chance meeting that makes life just a little more interesting. 

From what I hear, he did a pretty good job that afternoon with his audience.  The 10 who showed up.  I wasn't even tempted to attend.  I mean, the guy's a Number One rated blowhard who love's to hear himself talk.

Y'all have a great day.

BCOT

No comments: