Saturday, June 28, 2008

Saturday

Another great day here in the Quad Cities. My pal Pete and I had talked about doing a tail wind ride, and that was definitely the best choice, but it didn't happen. I did my ride on the bike path and the hills of East Davenport, as well as a couple trips up the Marycrest hill on Fillmore Street. Its a good sign for Mt. Rose that I can do those hills now. My conditioning is coming around.

DeWitt in the AM for breakfast.

I enjoyed the darker humor of 3 and 4's six word bios, and the admissive comment from 2.

Here's my offering for today: "Iowa boy. The farm stayed close."

Sounds like 3 has a good lead on a job in Boston. Same company, different group. Given the carnage in the banking business, any lead is a good lead.

I had a couple of LeRoy Neiman prints that we received as a wedding gift from my Best Man rematted and reframed recently. The previous matting had faded and the frames were retro-'70's. The new presentation is really cool. They'll hang in our reception area, across the room from the very cool, professionally framed and autographed poster of Lance in Paris on the Champs-Elysees.

The cost of framing and matting is a bit outrageous. And this is after the 50% discount. (I suppose that they'll be adding a transportation surcharge in the future.) Everybody from the car salesman to the doctor is trying to increase their "standard" rates so that after all the discounts, rebates and allowances, the net profit is what it needs to be.

The Bull's drafted a highly regarded point guard from Memphis in the draft on Thursday night. This probably means that their current point guard, and one of my favorite players, Kurt Heinrich, will likely be headed elsewhere. Its not like Heinrick is a bad player, but he really hasn't been able to lead the team to consistent success, and the new kid is more of the mold that NBA teams like these days. Maybe they'll be able to package Heinrick with another player or two and get a much-needed producer in the paint.

St. Paul was on the news tonight for the toppling of an old smoke stack. We are easily amused. I'm wondering if there was any underground side bets among the destruction crew as to whether they would get it to fall as planned.

Speaking of the TC, I saw an article last week that the replacement bridge for the one that collapsed last year will be done this Fall. And that the contractor was likely to earn early-completion bonuses.

Keeping with the TC theme, they are hosting the US Women's Open at Interlachen CC in Edina this weekend. I've watched a little on the tube. The course looks pretty tough. The girl in the lead has her dad on her bag. I don't think that that would happen in our family.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

BCOT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Had Dad's sense of humor. (un)fortunately.