Monday, June 09, 2008

Monday

This is my location for most of the next three days. If the weather cooperates. We've had enough rain here for a month. I've played in this event in years past where storms came in and stopped play. It's never as much fun when we're dodging rain drops.

I've recovered from TOMRV. Enough to go out tonight and do a DCC route this evening. I'm actually thinking that my conditioning is coming around. If I keep up the schedule, I may not suffer quite as much on Mt. Rose in August.

My employee who's an avid biker said that the Sunday portion of TOMRV was awful. Driving rain. Headwinds. She made it past the halfway point, and got a ride the rest of the way. Makes my plan for the ride look more and more brilliant.

My pal Bill and I are taking a big leap into a new computer system at the office. We've basically been on the same platform, updated on an as-needed (or as-required) basis, since the mid-80's. In an effort to gain a modicum of control, we're essentially throwing out the bathwater, and starting over. Our new IT vendor will be able to monitor a lot of the systems from afar. And by making all of our workstations identical, we hope to avoid the aggravations that come when the tech has to first determine what programs belong on which machine. We'll see.

In other news at the office, the young staff person whom I hired a year ago on the investments side has moved on to greener pastures. Further proof of my lack of managerial skills. More specifically, I suppose that there was a difference of opinion on expectations. Developing profitable clients in the securities business is a bit complicated. And you know how easy-going I can be.

Lots of the same names seem to be headed to Omaha for the College World Series. My bet is that Erin will get more airtime next week than anyone.

Interesting tidbit on the wires today about the most-heavily recruited women's basketball player leaving the UConn campus after less than a week on site. If they can't resolve this bump in the road, how can you understand such a colossal "miss" in judging the fit for new players? Geno is a hardcase coach, but didn't the girl and the family know that going into the program?

Speaking of tough days, anyone see the video of the big two-story house in Wisconsin getting swept off its foundation and sent on down the river? Don't fool with Mother Nature.

So good luck to everyone on a great day.

BCOT

No comments: