Sunday, November 04, 2007

Sunday

Time change. I think I like the "Fall back" move better than the Spring move forward. My body rhythms seem to more easily adapt.

The weather is about to change too. High in the 40's tomorrow. Low in the 20's. I have to move several plants that I want to save indoors now to maintain them across the Winter. The bigger ones will lose leaves, and a few just won't make it. Those that I brought here to my office will need to be misted somewhat regularly because the office is very dry.

Current events.

Tuesday is Election Day across the country. By happenstance, I have already voted. When I stopped by the local library yesterday afternoon to check my email, there was a table of precinct workers set up in the lobby. I thought it a bit curious, and on my way out, I asked what their deal was. And the response was simply that they were set up to accept early voting. So I completed a few forms, filled out my ballot, and wallah, my vote for Tuesday has already been cast.

For the record, I practiced a philosophy from my past: I voted against the incumbents.

The Naval Academy beat ND yesterday for the first time in over 40 years. Three overtimes. ND's fifth loss at home this year. Unprecedented. It's been a year of nightmares. It's shocking to me at how bad the Irish are this year. How does that happen?

My pal Roy reached out to me today from South America. He may be on vacation, but he's always afraid that he may be missing out on some info from home.

The local fishwrap has selected Froma Harrop as a national columnist to replace the deceased Molly Ivins. I think. I don't think that she is as over-the-top liberal as Ms. Ivins, but her tendencies are in support of most liberal causes. I've only recently begun reading some of her work. Since I rarely agree with her points, I suspect that our politics will clash. Stay tuned.

Here's a bit of history that is of note. You may have seen a story in the news this past week on the death of the pilot whose plane dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan that helped bring an end to World War II. The name of the plane, the Enola Gay, is a frequent answer in crossword puzzles. What I didn't know is that the pilot, Paul Warfield Tibbets Jr., called Des Moines home in his early childhood, and actually lived in Davenport for a couple of years. And the real interesting point, his mother, a native of Glidden, Iowa, was named Enola Gay Haggard. You can look it up.

All for today. Enjoy the last of the warm weather.

BCOT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dad, if you had to name a plane, what would you call it? And you can't name a plane what you've already named a car...