Monday, November 05, 2007

Monday

Technology for a Monday.

I'm looking at getting a laptop and a wireless card through my phone provider which will then make me web-accessible at home and beyond. My buddy who wrote the book while sitting at SB's gave me the idea. I thought he was subscribing to the SB's "hot spot" wireless service, but he told me today that he had gone to the phone-based technology. It's not as fast as DSL or cable, but it gives you access where ever you have a phone signal.

The financial side works for me as I have put 3 on notice that her phone service through good old Dad is history. Her loss is my gain. Sorry, kiddo. It's a cruel world out there.

My suspicion is that this particular type of wireless service, which is not widespread, will be rendered obsolete in the next year or two as the technology evolves. Wireless services may become less valuable as ad revenue and other income streams affect the business models of the various players. The existing paradigm of obtaining monthly subscribers will perhaps give way to other concepts that will live off the traffic on the Internet.

Anyway, my rationale for looking at something now is to be able to access 4000 Days with less dependency on my office-based computer. And a little flexibility with some of my business pages at home becomes an added, and tax-deductible, bonus.

Those of you concerned about the writers' strike and it's effects on 4000 Days can rest easy. Even if those LA liberals set up a picket line here in the QCA, I'm crossing. New material will always be here. No re-runs.

My pal Roy's iPhone did not work in Chile. Steve Jobs had better get back to the drawing board.

On the other hand, the I-Pass is the only way to travel Illinois' toll road systems. Breeze through those toll plazas at warp speed and save 50% off the cash price. The only losers are the toll booth operators. Another job ended by the geeks.

So I gotta go. My pal Pete and I are headed over to DeKalb tonight for Augie's season opener at Northern Illinois. This is one of those D-1 - D-III match-ups that doesn't count on the D-1 school's record. It's a lay-up. Just ask Michigan State. Grand Valley State?

Have a great evening.

BCOT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't earn any revenue off of the I-pass.

Anonymous said...

who the heck is fou-dizzle? That's crazy. When did Snoop Dogg join the fam?