Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Tuesday

Non fiction day.

In another interesting element to my cycling, I've made acquaintances recently with a troubled red-winged black bird that resides on the south side of Forest Grove, just west of the Middle Road intersection (just south of the I-80 interchange). I've literally been attacked by the bird each of the last two rides, and both coming and going each time! It must be an overly-protective mother with a nest nearby. She's repeatedly pecked my helmet on these rides. She sits on the telephone or electric wires, sees me come by, and swoops down to drive me away from her turf.

Over the years of biking, I've had some trouble with dogs, both on the bike path and on the open road. There was one mutt on a farm on Utica Ridge that routinely came after us. I got pretty good at reaching for my air pump and using it as a weapon. In the last couple of years, there have been several deer along the bike path. One doe and two fawns spent most of last summer in the brush around Duck Creek Park. I'd see them most nights.

If you wanted to open the category of animals to road kill, I've seen a lot of species. But for the sake of those reading this at dinnertime, I'll save those items for another time.

My fave Discovery rider, Savoldelli, is getting killed in the Giro by Ivan Basso of CSC. Not even a contest at this point. Basso would have to crash and break something for another rider to win. The race wraps up Saturday.

I had a nice 21 miler last night around DCC. I get out there and do the triangilar loop twice. Good hills. I'm starting to feel stronger. My buddy Pete came by my house later on and we ended up on the deck at Gov's with Roy. Saw the Monday Night Ride riders and Pete and I may join them in a couple of weeks.

The Criterium is Monday in downtown Rock Island. I usually go over and check it out. I know some of the local guys who ride in age-group races, including this one. They're nuts.

Happy tax-tax birthday to Kate.

Good luck to the CC girl in IC.

The Investment Banker girl was through the office today getting her NY trip scheduled. One day of training in the Big Apple. In and out on the same day.

And the Art History girl has new shoes. I mis-took her for Jessica.

Be careful out there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, susan got her shoes!! you HAVE to bring them!! i'm jealous!
dad, i'm sitting here in school and we're supposed to be watching the senior award banquet broadcast from the auditorium to our classroom TV's, you know, kind of like they do for overcrowded Easter and Christmas masses, and I read your part about the bird pecking your helmet and almost burst out laughing! i wish i could see that! there are geese on my running route and they always hiss at me. they must have their nests nearby. there was a story on the news about a lady walking out of walmart who was attacked by a goose in the parking lot. ever since then i've been extra cautious. didn't susan get bitten by a swan at vanderveer or something? anyway, i'm going to enter more grades. seniors would do almost anything to pass my class at this point...some ar sitting at 25% with seven days left. not good.

Anonymous said...

As the unannointed family ornithologist, I am ready for your wildlife counseling. You are right, that bird is defending a nesting or feeding territory. Are you wearing red? Your helmet or bike? That would really set off this bird.

Not surprisingly, many birds can be extremely territorial. Even tiny Hummingbirds have been known to chase off large dogs that venture too close to their favorite flowers or feeders by pecking on the head or eyes.

Fortunately, nothing larger than a small owl has come after me lately, but I too had my own Canada Goose chase where I was the victim.

My advice to all - just DUCK and cover.
Quack Quack

Denise Ryan
ryand@nwf.org
Treasurer, Audubon Society of the District of Columbia and newest member of the lobbying team at the National Wildlife Federation