Sunday, December 15, 2013

Sunday

This is going to be an effort from the air on my flight from PHX to ORD and my return to Winter. Interestingly, and I may have had this figured out on a previous flight, the keyboard to the iPad doesn't seem to work in the air...I'm thinking that the wireless connection is blocked while airborne. The biggest challenge is the absence of the arrow keys. We'll see how it goes.

Golf on Saturday was at a desert course that we played a few years ago. Quite a ways North out of Scottsdale in a designed residential community. It was slow going again, but I was paired-up with a decent guy and it was a pretty good experience. My back definitely got tired on the back nine and I picked-up on a couple of holes. Coors Light helped. I really need to get some consistent core work done before the boys golf trip a month from today.

(In addition to the green's fees being below average, prices for on-course beer and snacks were in the reasonable category at both courses that I played this weekend...I think $5 for maybe 14 ounce cans (they were definitely larger than 12 ounces). $6 for a hot-dog platter. At Grayhawk next month, the beers will be at least $8 and the dogs $10. It's all about course location and reputation. It's not that these places were inferior, they're just not the "destination" tracks that allow for premium-pricing. Given the time and opportunity next year, I'd consider playing both of these spots again.)

I stepped in a partially hidden sprinkler-head hole yesterday on the 14th or 15th hole and twisted my right ankle enough that it put me to the ground for a minute. It still hurts. Could have been worse, but still, it reminded me of my checkered history with ankle injuries. Do they still tape athletes' ankles before games? In high school basketball, I ended up getting taped every day, even for light practices. Later on, I tried doing it myself for pick-up b-ball at ND and in the USAF. And I still ended up with time in casts.

Daddy had bad ankles too. As does 1. Given that three-generation track record, I'd say that 1.01 and 1.02 had better get to know the training staff from the get-go. Just sayin'.

The Hertz experience this time was worthy of my paid-for executive treatment. My name was on the board Thursday night for Gold Card members at pick-up (as it should have been). The car itself was a bit pedestrian (a Chevy Impala), but it had some ummph, and was a good ride. Departure from the garage was a snap. Same with check-in this AM. And my receipt had hit my email before I arrived at my gate.

I'm guessing that car-tracking devices are getting better, but there were THREE visible electronic boxes on the front dashboard or window of this car. Pretty sure that I was never below radar on this trip. Do you suppose that they now have video in the car?

And here's another electronic progression that I guess I've noticed before: the flight attendants take only credit cards for the alcoholic drinks. They have those small "swiping" smart-phone units and the deed is done. #inventorycontrol. #cashcontrol. Just like bars and restaurants, management needs to limit possible losses attributable to lax employees. (I'm sure that there remains plenty of opportunity for theft of goods between the time it hits the airport and actually gets to a plane. Reality 101.)

Moving on...I see where Major League Baseball has proposed a rule change to prohibit certain collisions at home plate. Hmmm. Not sure where I fall on this one. I can certainly see some rules of this order in amateur ball, but in the pro's? Yes, there have been some unfortunately injuries to catchers...think Ray Fosse and Buster Posey...but geez, it's baseball, for cryin' out loud!! If the catcher has the plate blocked, what's the runner to do, stand up and give up the out?

And this is a little old come the news cycle, but I was not unhappy to see the three managers, Torre, Cox and LaRussa all get named to baseball's HOF. All were imperfect, but who in the Hall isn't? If Glavine and Maddox are also elected for this year's class (as they rightfully should be), the induction ceremony in Cooperstown will be worth the watch.

OK. Enough rattling on. I'll try to add a pic or two from C-town. Thanks for reading.

BCOT

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bad ankles run in this family as well.
Tahoe Phil

Blogger said...

By going to Car Rental 8 you can get cheap car hires at over 50,000 locations globally.