Friday, December 27, 2013

Friday

Well, that quick hit up to the Twin Cities was a success, and the return trip yesterday was uneventful. Travel in the Midwest this time of year is always problematic, so getting there and back with no delays goes down as a win.

Hats off to 1 and 1.1 for hosting a modified fff again.  And special props to 1.1 for preparing the Christmas feast.

My book on tape for the trip was near the top of the Worst Books Ever list.  I should have known when they spent 10 minutes at the start talking about how this was a "classic" disaster novel that it was going to be a disaster.  And it was.  "Mayday".  Don't waste your time.  Actually, Hollywood didn't.  It was a Lifetime movie.  Literally.  You know, the movie where the plot is so thin that you've deduced the ending after the first five minutes of air time. With meaningless subplots to fill the void.  I kicked myself for listening to the first four disks in full, and then went through the final six disks in about an hour. 

I then went to a Vince Flynn book with protagonist Mitch Rabb, which is still in the Buick's media player...and will be for several days.  There's not much mystery who will win in that story either, but at least there's a hint of drama to the process. 

I'm thinking that the GPS golf watch that was my main Christmas gift will be a winner.  I haven't read the full operating manual, of course, but it doesn't appear to be too difficult to operate.  It comes programmed with like 25,000 courses, and by just hitting the "find" feature in Woodbury, I picked up the feed for several local tracks.  The same results when I tested it here this AM. 

Its not a laser gun that will give you exact yardage to a pin, but it gives you the yardage to front, middle and back pin placements for the green being played.  In my game, that's more than enough information.  Plus, by being attached to my body, my Sometimer's condition will not be as likely to lose the device.  I'd take the Under that a hand-held range finder would still be with me through a single golfing season.

The first test will be in three weeks in Scottsdale.  I've already warned my golf bud's that the game has changed.

I was sorry to see that our fellow media-aficionado has formally given up the ghost on his blog.  Maybe another time, friend.  I understand the challenge, believe me.  But I have the luxury of having fewer personal obligations on a daily basis, and this hacking away at paragraphs is one of my ways of keeping at the challenge I have created.  It really makes you understand how hard it is to be a columnist with x-number of inches to fill 3-4 times a week.

My pics from Harvest Path weren't too newsworthy, but this one of 1.1's bird feeder in his back yard wasn't bad.  This shot was taken from inside the house at maximum magnification on my "big" Canon camera.  Kinda cool.  If I had used the tripod, I'm sure I could have got an even clearer pic.

All for now.  Thanks to all for a great Christmas.  We have a wonderful family.

4, you're the one punching a time clock this weekend.  We are proud of you!

BCOT


No comments: