Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Wednesday




This is coming to you from my continuing education session over at the iWireless Center in Moline with about 150 of my other close friends. We've already had 2 hours of the Affordable Health Care Act. And now there's an IRS agent at the mic lamenting her experience at the unemployment office last month. She didn't offer up whether she double-dipped or paid anything back.

I'm still trying to resolve a software problem with a new program that I acquired last week to populate multiple forms for my securities clients. The idea is that you input client data only once, and the software can then transfer the data to the proper lines of most any of the various forms that might be required for that client. Unfortunately, there seems to be a disconnect between the "Save" function in the software, and the Adobe Acrobat software that is used to read the completed/partially completed forms. I can't express how frustrating it is to have a procedure designed for efficiency fail to launch as advertised. Stay tuned.

I think I saw a spot on the news within the last day or two that Walmart has declared this coming Friday as their "Black Friday" to officially start their Christmas shopping season. Interesting. Since Thanksgiving is so late, and the traditional Black Friday that follows thus yields a shortened shopping season, Walmart's marketer's have come up with a fairly creative solution. Now, the question is whether the public will embrace the concept. If Walmart is doing this, look for the other Big Boxes to follow. With the Holiday Season accounting for a huge percentage of most retailer's annual sales, and with competition so diverse, there are no rules as to what might be tried to get customers through the door. This has little impact on my Christmas Eve shopping schedule.


Davenport has a Thanksgiving parade scheduled for this Saturday. They have patterned this event after the Macy's parade with large balloon creatures as the featured "floats" in the parade. The weather forecast calls for temps in the low '20's with gusty winds. Hmmmm. Cold. Windy. Balloons. Not the best combination. I'm taking the Over that there will either be a limit on the balloon displays, or there will be an incident of some sort as the handlers deal with the weather. Again, not an item on my schedule.

Time for lunch. I may come back later.

BCOT
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: