Friday, November 29, 2013

Friday

Well. that Turkey Trot was one for the books.  It was really a nice morning.  Cool, but sunny and not much wind.  It took me a little longer than the last couple of years (ever!) to get up the Main Street hill, but I had a good second mile, a decent third mile, and a reasonable fourth mile.  (My pal Ron snapped this one of me during the second mile.)

But as I made my way through mile five, things didn't look real promising for a clocking of under an hour.  I attribute that to a late start of training this year because of the Europe trip, and a lack of a training partner.  But that head-over-heels tumble near the finish with 1.01 gave my official time as "DNF".

But when it comes to Turkey Trots to Remember, this one will always be near the top of the list.  Next year, will be another effort to meet that one-hour goal.

I spoke this AM with my pal Tim who is an owner of the timing company (The End Result) that had the contract for the race for the first time this year.  I was surprised to see them use a returnable chip for the runners, thinking that it was old technology.  He said that they still use the chips in lots of races as the disposable chips cost the races $1 per runner, and to lots of races, that's real money.

The hassle factor for his company must be the same for disposable/returnable.  I'd think that maintaining the returnables would be more of a nuisance, but he was very blasé on that argument. I guess that if your acquisition cost for the chips has already been amortized, re-using them again is a low (no?)-cost service model.

The birthday party for 1.1 and @srh4 was a success on Wednesday night. 2 made sure that we had party hats.  There was a story on who made the cake...or who had to re-make the cake...but I forget those details.

Party tonight at 2's.  Pics to follow.

BCOT





No comments: