Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thursday

Day II of Chinese Water Torture. (Sorry. I know that that has to be a racist reference.)

That experience at the wine shop last night was totally unexpected. I had gone in to pick up a mixed-case for 2 as a contribution to her Festival of Trees party this coming weekend. (She's the chair of one of the opening parties and they're having a raffle on a selection of wines and liquor.) So I just went to my normal area in the store for mid-range Cabernet's and started pulling bottles. And that was when I noticed that the posted price for our fam's wine currency was just $9.99!!

I pulled three of the J Lohr's for the case, and that price allowed me add three bottles of $25 wines and keep my average price below $20 for the case.




(My pal Pete split the case with me.) I'm not a big fan of FOT, but props to 2 for giving up her time to support the program.

It was then a matter of math to conclude that adding a case of JL to the Maplecrest inventory was a no-brainer. With Freakshow also down to $16.99, and with 1's request for that at Thanksgiving, I leapt off the curb and went all in for the third case. It reminded me of my experience at the Total Wine store in Reno when we stocked-up for 07282012. Very cool.


After the wine shopping, 2 and I met up at the restaurant Crust (on 53rd Street across from The Red Crow). They have a 1/2 price deal on bottled-wine on Wednesday nights. The place was packed, but we scored a couple of chairs at the end of the bar. They were out of the Jack London Cab, so I went for the Jordan. Of course, I misread the price on the wine list...it sure looked like $57 to me...$28.50 being a good deal. The 5 was actually an 8. Whatever.



I love my experiences at Geneva on Wednesday nights. But try out this math: It takes me around 40 minutes to get there (and the same coming back, of course.) The Jack London price in Muskie is $65 (after my outrage when they tried it at $85 this Spring). OR...I can go to Crust...taking approximately 4 minutes (again, both ways!)...and pay $23 for the same bottle of Jack London!! The Geneva Club Manager still thinks he's selling the JL too cheap. (My pal Roy says that the answer is to just use his wine stock and pay the corking fee rather than to pay the club rates. It's a possibility.)

I've run into a lot of acquaintances at this conference over the last couple of days. When you've been working in the same community for 33+ years, you've met a lot of people. Interestingly, this group (150 or so) is not very young, collectively. Not sure what that means. Then again, I reiterate my position: if I was a younger man, I would definitely be looking at a career change; I have no interest in being a professional enforcer for the Affordable Health Care Act.

My pal Jake's Pants is coming into town this evening for a couple of nights. Ostensibly to get his returns handled. Hmmm. I'm sure we'll talk a little bit about taxes. In between other topics.

Wrapping up here at the Seminar From Hell. Thanks for reading.

BCOT

(For the record, this entry was a combination of Blogspot on the iPad and the iPhone...AND some final editing on Blogger on the iPad.  So the paragraph breaks and picture positioning are erratic.  I can't control these things on mobile entry.  Sorry.)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

1 said...

"The 5 was actually an 8." LOL! Excited to see everyone in only a few more days…so is PLD!!