Friday, November 15, 2013

Friday

So I'm going back to a Home page pic that never gets old.  Hello Sand Harbor!

I was thinking last night on my TT training run that eight years (as in the blog's anniversary yesterday) is a LONG time!!  As a person gets older, the percentage of your life represented by an eight year segment gets progressively smaller as that denominator marches ever higher.  But even now, eight years is 12% to the Lt.PC on the life line.  Not an insignificant amount of time.

And I was thinking about the significant eight-year spans that could be defined in my post-high school life.  And the events that made them significant, not just the passage of time.  Among them:

1.  1968 - 1976.  This was a busy one.  All of my original history related to ND, the USAF, grad school MBA in Iowa City, marriage to @srh4, and the start of the Chicago era came in these years.

2.  1980 - 1988.  The relocation to Iowa, the birth of or four girls, the IPO (Initial Private Offering) of my own business and the introductions of my pals Bill and Pete.

3.  There's a couple of over-lapping periods in the '90's and early 2000's that contain the construction of our office building, the early education of the girls, the new house in Bettendorf, family travel and the passing of grandparents.  I have to think too hard right now to properly delineate these years.

4.  I'm thinking that the last eight-year segment has been the best one ever.  At least two college graduations, a Masters degree, two weddings, two grandchildren, three trips to Europe, the all-family reunion in Tahoe, and countless other excursions.

If the next eight years go as quickly and as successfully as the last eight, I will have been a very lucky man.

Have a great weekend!

BCOT

No comments: