Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Wednesday

Going retro with the Home Page pic.  Always a good shot.

Hard to believe that today is the one-year anniversary of the last Presidential election.  What happened to that vapor-year?

The local radio station using a country music format was voted the nation's Small Market Station of the Year in conjunction with the CMA recognitions that will be handed out tonight on the televised awards show.  I'm not sure how that voting is conducted, or the qualifying standards, but good for them.  I usually listen to that station while in the car here in town.  Like all contemporary country stations, it can get too pop-ish after awhile.  These young artists can lose us old guys with the new blend of almost hard-rock-abilly.  Whatever.

My fav George Strait is getting a special lifetime achievement award on the show tonight as well.  Why wouldn't he?

The price of gas is on a downward trend.  I really haven't looked at the numbers, but a reduction at the pump creates liquidity for everyone, right.?  I mean, a gallon was over $4 earlier this year, right?  So getting it under $3 is a significant savings, right?  (Maybe not so much for those without cars...hey to the NYC fam...but for the rest of us who have to have a car to get to work, less spent at the pump translates to more spent elsewhere, right?)  I know fossil fuel usage offends the Save-the-Planet crowd, but there is an economic impact given our current reality.

One of the sidebars in yesterday's elections was the failure in Houston to approve a bond measure that would have funded the re-development of the Astro Dome.  I hadn't realized that the one-time Eighth Wonder of the World had been entirely closed for several years.  Or that Reliant Stadium (that much bigger?)  had been built immediately next door to the old facility.  I was never in the Astro Dome.  Now it looks like it will fall victim to the wrecking ball.  Not quite 50 years after opening.  Progress, eh?

Another of the realities of life kicked in for me yesterday when one of my former vendors kicked me off their data processing system.  I had made the formal change in vendors in September, but I had managed to procrastinate actual conversion of client accounts all of the way into November.  With access to the old system now blocked, I have to get off by backside and get the paperwork done to move to the new platform...like yesterday!...and like I should have had done maybe three weeks ago.  I took things to the end of the string and it got yanked.  If you think the world operates on your schedule, wake up people!

In connection with this vendor change, I need to also change several programs on my desktop.  I'm wondering if swapping-out viper-ware systems, upgrading to the new client-account system, and re-routing of email storage will help with things like malfunctions on the tax program (remember the Catastrophic Failure problem?) and Blogger functionality.  For sure, if Blogger processing doesn't change for the better, I will definitely be moving to a new platform for that service.

All for today.  Thanks for reading.

BCOT

No comments: