Friday, November 08, 2013

Friday

Looks like a good weather day in River City.  If the frost coverings the last two mornings didn't kill the allergens in the air around here, nothing will.

Now I'm wondering if my problems with Blogger can be traced to an older version of Explorer on this desktop.  With my change in vendors that I have noted earlier, and the previous limitations imposed on my old vendor's software now irrelevant, I have now uploaded Explorer version 11 and I'm already seeing some functionality improvements.

I was surprised to find a couple of high-profile football games on the tube last night.  What do you suppose the payoff was for Oklahoma-Baylor and Stanford-Oregon to play their games on a Thursday night?  And I couldn't even find the Sooner game on my million-channel DirecTV line-up.  For four ranked teams to go at it on a Thursday, the dollars had to be significant.  Kinda takes away from a traditional football Saturday for the fans, doesn't it?  "Clones fans should take heart in the beating that Baylor meted out to Oklahoma.  It wasn't 70 points, but it wasn't a close game either.

Twitter stock went public yesterday at $26, and immediately went up to $45.  The retail investor had little shot at the $26 shares, so the investment decision really needs to be based on the $45 price.  The profit model is still a work-in-progress for Twitter, but it will certainly be ad-based.  Investors are a bit gun-shy on these things given the mixed initial results of Facebook last year, but sentiment seems to appreciate the fact that the future is in social media technology...and Twitter is a huge player.  Stay tuned.

I actually made a small Internet search this morning to see if there were an "sour grapes" stories out there that criticized the CMA's for recognizing George Strait as the Entertainer of the Year.  I figured that some people would give the old, "Yeah, but..." caveat that it was a lifetime achievement award and not really deserved for his current work.  Didn't see anything.  The only carping that I saw was of liberal voices calling out Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood for their mocking of Obamacare and Miley Cyrus.  And the standard snarks of "hicks", "racists" and "boring" which were likely pre-written anyway.  Whatever.

All for this AM.  Make it a Good Friday in your neighborhood.

BCOT

No comments: