Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Tuesday

We've had two pretty nice days, but the clouds are rolling in this evening.  Like we need more rain.

I made the classic mistake last night of rolling through a "Stop" sign in front of a parked, but occupied, police car.  A block from my house.  In Margret.  As I cruised passed their car, I saw it make a three-point U-turn and follow me...into my driveway.  I stepped out to greet the two of them, and was told, very seriously, to return to my vehicle.  Which I did, and pulled out my license and registration in anticipation of their request.

Long story short...they took pity on me, liked my ride...and gave me a warning.  Mostly, I think they thought I was pretty dumb to roll the "Stop" sign right in front of them.  Which I was.

My top ten list of Police Stoppages (with me behind the wheel):

1.  Speeding on the way out of Ottumwa on the day of Mother's funeral.  Not too smart, but I was too proud to play the, "I was at my Mother's funeral" card.
2.  Video ticket for running a red light 5-6 years ago while on the way to cheer 2 in the St. Paddy's Day 5K.  I tried to fight the video, but pictures don't lie.  My special circumstances position didn't fly.
3.  Speeding out of Muscatine a couple years back.  Arguing with the "county-mountie" on the posted speed, and losing.  But getting a warning because I had all the right answers.
4.  Speeding on the Interstate near Annapolis, Maryland when going home to Dover AFB after a weekend in DC.  Got off on that one too...for being a nice clean-cut Lt in the USAF!
5.  Speeding on Highway 22 (I think) while coming home from seeing Mother...maybe 20 years ago.  Was that 3 with me?  No defense and the trooper had no sympathy.
6.   Making a left turn on North Brady Street Davenport in the little blue Ranger...circa 1990...when the sign had a "No Left Turn" posted.  While sipping a Coors Light.  With at least a couple of the girls with me.  Warning from the cop (who missed the open beer).

So maybe I don't remember a full list of 10 stoppages.  I'll have to give it some more thought.

Headed out for errands.  Maybe more a little later.

BCOT


No comments: