Sunday, June 16, 2013

Sunday

I'm giving this a shot this morning from the gate area at Sky Harbor.

I gave serious thought to going back out of the concourse, knowing that I would have to do Security again, to get a decent cup of coffee. The convenient Starbucks location near my hotel was blocked off from my direction by some early morning road construction, and my route to the airport didn't include a SB shop (that I could see). I passed on the in-airport SB shop in the general area before Security thinking that there would have to be another spot in the concourse. Wrong.

When I asked the girl behind the counter at the deli that was open near my gate what my coffee options were, she laughed and said, "Regular or decaf!" The taste of her "regular" option reminds me of the stuff that comes out of the automated machines in the basement at the court house or the DMV waiting room.

Moving on...

First and foremost, Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there. Make it a great day.




3 and I will do a little celebration on the driveway on Maplecrest after I get back this afternoon. (I'll be glad to do stuff outside in a place where evening temperatures are less than triple digits!)

The rental car that I had this weekend was a two-door Nissan coupe of some sort. Not a bad car, but not much room...and one of the smallest trunks I've ever seen in a rental car. I suppose that this vehicle is a distant relative to my Datsun 240Z that was my first-ever new car (that I bought for $3,900) in November of 1971.




That was one fun little car. Two-seater. Hardly any room in the rear cargo space. I think a five-speed, manual transmission. I guess all young men go through a sports car phase. In relative terms, mine was a cheap date.

This trip did confirm the reality that elective travel to PHX between April and October is not recommended. I mean, I get that message about it being "dry" heat, but so is an oven. The early morning isn't bad, and once the sun goes down its tolerable, but you really need to stay inside while the sun is out. It's a different life.

The local news stations were all talking about the start of the "monsoon" season this weekend in Arizona. A check of wiki can give you all you might want to know about this "season", but basically, it's the Summer storm season. They get weather in the Summer, largely the result of prevailing winds shifting from the North and West to the South and East. This brings in the moisture from the Gulf, that mixes with the dry heat, and whalaah...storms!




I remember my friends talking about the monsoon back in the '80's when I was really naive about, basically, everything. I thought that they were just giving their own little private spin on the tendency to get some some weather. But the local culture has the monsoon as a recurring annual phenomena.

Ok. Enough for this AM. Make it a great Sunday. A special "hey" to the fam celebrating Father's Day on Harvest Path.

BCOT

No comments: