Sunday, June 09, 2013

Sunday

I survived the Member-Guest golf event down at Geneva, but it was a long two days.  You play 27 holes on Friday, and then another 18 on Saturday.  (If you have the misfortune to win your flight through those 45 holes, you have more golf Saturday afternoon in the play-off.)  For someone who might play twice a week (and that only occasionally), this tournament is all you want (and more).

My guest Rick and I didn't embarrass ourselves, and didn't come close to winning anything.  Rick isn't a long-hitter and Geneva isn't a course that is kind to someone who doesn't hit a good tee shot.  I kept us in most holes, but my putter went cold, so we were always just trying to tie the other teams.  Whatever.  It was a good social event.

This is also TOMRV weekend (Bettendorf to Dubuque on Saturday...and then back on Sunday).  I elected early on this Spring to forego the cycling trip this year, not only because of the conflict with the golf at Geneva, but also because I knew I was way behind on my bike training.  You could tell that the cyclists were in town Friday night with the bikes on racks on lots of cars at Hy Vee.  Can't say that I lost much sleep last night knowing that I had missed that 85-mile grind to Galena.  They'll have the ride next year, right?

They have changed bar managers down at Geneva due to the previous guy taking a "real" job with a local agricultural services/products company.  It was a good move for him, things like job growth in the future and full benefits.  The assistant got the promotion to run the bar.  Wine pricing under the new system became an issue with the first bottle I bought last week.  Let's just say that they set the price of that Jack London Cabernet (that they stock at my request) at a substantial premium over the menu price at the Blackhawk Hotel lobby bar...and you know those lobby bar prices!

I spoke with the Club Manager the next day and got the corporate song-and-dance about "the Board this...and the Board that..." And profit margins yada yada yada.  Whatever.  I subsequently talked with the head dining room hostess (who has been around there a long time) and she said that the Powers That Be had raised all of the wine prices.  The cheap Camus Cab (in contrast to the Select Cab) which had been on the wine list at $110 has gone to $150.  Like I'll be ordering a couple of those bottles soon!  I told the Club Manager that he could do his profit-margin-pricing formula and simply price the higher-end wine crowd out of his captive market.  There are other places to go to drink nice wine.

This wine-pricing study is not all that different from the debate in DC about taxing the rich.  I mean, the rich can afford to pay more taxes, and the country needs more revenue...ergo, raise the price of wine!  Except I might go pay my shekels at at a location where the price of freight is a little lower.  Do ya' think Nancy Pelosi would get that comparison?

I'm not sure on where I fall on this latest NSA revelation.  The fact that the government is spying on each of us doesn't surprise me.  The legal justification is absolutely BS.  This is another case of the cover-up being more of the problem than the crime itself.  I mean, Google has probably got my DNA coded on this laptop.  The airlines know my preferences.  I'm on so much film that a flunky private eye could trace my steps everyday from the comfort of his couch. 

Hmmm.  Where will the MSM come up with the cover for The One?  Well, that's a lay-up...it's Bush's fault!!

I'm doing some BBQ this evening.  I'll report those results on Twitter.

Have a good week.  Thanks for reading.

BCOT

No comments: