Friday, June 21, 2013

Friday

Just a few lines this AM to celebrate TGIF.

I think that today is the Summer Solstice.  I know that there is a math thing to the angle of the sun and the place the Earth is on it's orbit, but I just see it as The Longest Day of the Year (in terms of sunlight).  On the one hand, its a day to celebrate as I really like that early morning and late evening light.  But on the other hand (sounds like a country song!), the rest of the days of the Summer and Fall keep getting a little shorter on sunlight.  I find that fact to be a  little discouraging...knowing that there's an argument that the Summer is already winding down. 

There was quite a bit of blood in the streets yesterday from the market sell-off.  The talking heads are all over it on the morning news shows.  The combination of a weak economy, questions on action by the central bank in China, and maybe some profit-taking by investors suggest that we aren't done.  Its a very difficult time for the fixed-income investor whose "conservative" bond holdings are marching backwards.  With the equities also sliding, safe havens are hard to find.

I was rooting for the Spurs.  They really had their chance in Game 6...and I think that somebody missed a key free throw in the last minute of regulation that allowed the Heat to tie that game (which they won in OT).  Ya' gotta make your free throws.  The coaches stress that at every competitive level of basketball.  Its one of the always-true rules.  (For the record, I didn't watch much of any of the games.  But I would check the scores on-line.  I find it difficult to invest much time or emotion in anything NBA.)

3 checked in early this AM with a text from London.  My guess is that they are now in route to Milan.  A special shout-out to her and 3.1!

No big plans on Maplecrest for the weekend.  Maybe some golf (if the discomfort in my back continues to ebb), and Sunday may be my first visit to DeWitt on a ride with my pal Pete.  Its supposed to get hot, so nothing is written in stone.

Make it a Good Friday.

BCOT


No comments: